RO/DI filter question

phishman

I just put in a ro filter I am getting about 3 gallons a day. RO filters are slow and wasteful but there is not really any thing you can do about it. The rate it filters is based on the pressure comming in and thr filter can be ruined if the max pressure is exceded. if you want water faster you might try a bigger unit of have more than one filter. You can't speed one up, unfortunately.

Varga

hey i got it working pretty good now. its making 40gpd now. I didnt change anything :)

I had no idea ro filters were soooo wasteful. I kinda feel bad having water going down the drain 24/7

slakker

I had no idea ro filters were soooo wasteful. I kinda feel bad having water going down the drain 24/7

I've seen some commercial designs that recirculate the water to get a better ratio. Very usefull in places where water is metered.

metweezer

Don't let the water go down the drain. Feed your plants. We're talking tap water here. Wash your clothes. Drink it. It is purer than what came out of the tap. Let it drain into a garbage can with wheels and use it anyway you can. Wash your car.:redcar:
Steve

Is it normal that the drain is going all the time? looks like 90% of the water is going out the drain.

house has 48psi, filter is rated 40-80 psi, is 1 gallon per hour normal?

thank you all :)

It is not normal that waste water is running all the time. To stop that, either manually turn off the water supply to the system when you are finished making pure water, OR install a check valve and what is called an "Automatic Shut Off Valve." The ASOV senses when a valve at the end of the DI tube closes, and it shuts off the flow of waste water. These valves are inexpensive and easy to set up.

Last edited by a moderator: