RMS 250 remove hood for an open top design

don74136

I am very interested in removing the hood from my RSM 250 in order to have the open top design for which I would then mount one or two EcoTech Radions attached to the sides of the tank with the appropriate rail system or clamps. I want to cover up the ugly filtration parts in the rear of the tank with some sort of acrylic box. InTank has a filtration cover for the 130/130D but they do not make one for the 250. I think I saw on this forum or maybe in another (such as Reef Central) a tank with the hood removed and the rear part covered by a detached frontal flip part (the small one that you usually flip open to feed your fish). I can no longer find this post with pictures. Can someone direct me to this or something similar?

aquachemist

Just wait a few months. Red sea has new tanks coming out that are open topped with led lights and sump underneath. They have a 300L

Red Sea Max 250

aquachemist

72735d3f40f9c70bf5a09b7aa2acc4fa.jpg

This is the 200L but they have a 300L too

02019795ff55792036d4924ca29ace5e.jpg

Red Sea Max 250

don74136

I would like to get one of the new Reefers Series 450 but I've only had my 250 up and running about nine months. Now it is time to replace the T5's or come up with another solution. I chose the open top with EcoTech Radions because I don't want to do a retrofit in the hood with something like Steve's LED's. Even with the 95 or 99% option it seems to me, based on various forums including Reef Sanctuary, that it can be a borderline nightmare with the install due to instructions that suck and support through email which wouldn't work for me. This afternoon I ordered 2 of the 15w Radions with a RMS which stands for Rack Mounting System. I feel that LED's on the RSM 250 don't really increase the value of the 250 that much when putting it up for sale based on what I have seen on the internet. With the Radions I can take them off and put them on another aquarium when that time comes about. If I can't find a filtration cover on the internet I will just have a local acrylic manufacturer make one for me.

aquachemist

Yeah those reefer series are nice. The temps will be better v also with the lid off. Maybe a black acrylic box that would sit over the skimmer and the open area at the back would look nice. I'd get some etching and LED on it just to make it look unique and custom instead of just plain black but thats me.

ea360ec89fc2f6d455c4154283241b6a.jpg

Like this

Red Sea Max 250

don74136

Yeah those reefer series are nice. The temps will be better v also with the lid off. Maybe a black acrylic box that would sit over the skimmer and the open area at the back would look nice. I'd get some etching and LED on it just to make it look unique and custom instead of just plain black but thats me.

ea360ec89fc2f6d455c4154283241b6a.jpg

Like this

Red Sea Max 250
If only the powers that be at InTank would manufacture a filtration cover for the RSM 250 like they did for the 130/130D I could sleep better at night.

aquachemist

Go custom. I'm sure your local acrylic guys (and girls) would love some cool little jobs like this.

Red Sea Max 250

aquachemist

I'll gladly take one if you buy it for me! lol
Haha sure...... I'll fill it to the brim with aptaisia for you before I deliver it, might throw a few other delicious diseases and pests just to keep you on your toes[emoji13]

Red Sea Max 250

Jadziapax

I am very interested in removing the hood from my RSM 250 in order to have the open top design for which I would then mount one or two EcoTech Radions attached to the sides of the tank with the appropriate rail system or clamps. I want to cover up the ugly filtration parts in the rear of the tank with some sort of acrylic box. InTank has a filtration cover for the 130/130D but they do not make one for the 250. I think I saw on this forum or maybe in another (such as Reef Central) a tank with the hood removed and the rear part covered by a detached frontal flip part (the small one that you usually flip open to feed your fish). I can no longer find this post with pictures. Can someone direct me to this or something similar?
Hi, I am also looking into this. Did you convert? Is it noisy? I was going to modify the hood but I stupidly bought an LED fixture that was supposed to fit into the hood but it's too thick.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk