Ricordias and Yuma Rare and Common colors?

hma

I also do not believe the different feed the cause for a colour change of the Ricordias in the sea is, at least the interest is relatively low in it. What I wanted to say is which could be it one of the releasing causes in connection with temperature and light change.

InLimbo87

I have two ricordeas in my tank, but I'm most definitely looking for more. I have a blue FL ric and a pink (rainbow?) yuma.

Here's a pic of the yuma:

RainbowYuma.jpg

Techno-Vicki

I would have to agree, at least in the tank why they change. I have noticed high placed lemon ricordias change toward green and lower placed stay pretty much the same (MH), pink and blue darken to more intense hues under higher lighting same with orange. Don't think feeding has alot to do with color much, just growth and mouths produced.
I have noticed that splitting occures much faster under less intense light levels, PC vs MH (not shadowed lighting or low light levels).
Lately I have played around with T5 HO actinics and have noticed the colors of all my corallimorpharians intensify, not just ricordia, along with zoanthids (also an increase in growth, especially in the zoanthids and new polyps appearing) which seems to me to almost contradict what I just said before.
:smck:
Very interesting. Have you done any splitting of your yumas? Also, besides low lighting, what do you do for your green yumas? I have trouble them.

flricordia

But not really familiar with the T5s (actinics) yet and the change going on with my corallimorpharians and zoanthids I wonder if the ligghting has become representitive of a seasonal change, such as Heinz has stated. The change in their growth and coloration is such that it may warrent a senario where the T5 actinics could be switched out for daylight 50/50 VHOs and the response noted, keeping water parameters and feed levels the same of course.
Or maybe it could be that it is just too early in the morning for me and I don't know what I am saying.

flricordia

Very interesting. Have you done any splitting of your yumas? Also, besides low lighting, what do you do for your green yumas? I have trouble them.
By splitting if you mean cutting them I only cut FL ricordias, though I have with much success cut yumas in the past. Once they are established, remain firm once withdrawn due to a physical prodding with the finger or such, they can be cut through the mouth, but can still regrow if the mouthpart is missing on a portion.
But yumas, as with other corallimorpharinas, excluding Fl ricordias, move leaving small portions behind, which grow into new yumas.
Note that splitting is not limited to the Fl ricordia in the corallimorpharian group. There are others that can reproduce by both methods naturally.
And I did not mean low lighting, I tryed to make that clear, though I have trouble getting my meaning across at times, I meant low par, intensity, not shadowed or indirect lighting.
Example being 70 wts MH 14K vs 2x36wt PC 50/50s. Same wattage but different (intensities?).

Flamehawk

As far as ricordia florida, According to the most recent article by Daniel Knop, from common to rarest: Green, blue-grey, orange/pinks.

From our experience, and i have ben lucky enough to have personally seen at least 100,000 polyps over the years, the rarest are the nicely colored rainbows becuase they are each unique.

There is also the bicolors and tricolors and dont forget the the "half and half"'s which is a solid color on left side of polyp and completely differnt solid color to the right side. That morph is probably 1 in 10,000.

But it all depends on what location you are talking about.

It is my experience that the ones from the florida keys and bahamas tend to have the more solid polyps albeit colorful, where as the ones from Haiti, the dominican republic tend to have more rainbows and a larger number of colors in the mix. I have not seen bright blue ones from the florida keys of bahamas but they do have the blue-grey in LARGE amounts.

Hope this helps, JOHNNY

Flamehawk

One question people.

Would multi colored rics and yumas be a seasonal coloration as they transition from one color to the other or are some varieties permanently bi or tri colored?

Before I buy a fancy rainbow Ricordia and have it go all green. lol

thank you in advance.

The rainbow coloration is permanent. It will vary a little in shade depending on aquarium conditions, espcially lighthing and temperatures.

I think you are thinking of how some goldfish start out black and turn golden later? LOL

Hope this helps,JOHNNY

flricordia

... the rarest are the nicely colored rainbows becuase they are each unique.

Would have to agree. They are beautiful indeed and my LRS is due to be getting some in tomarrow. And it probably isn't hard to guess who will be there panting like a dog with his wallet in hand. :whstlr:

Techno-Vicki

Would have to agree. They are beautiful indeed and my LRS is due to be getting some in tomarrow. And it probably isn't hard to guess who will be there panting like a dog with his wallet in hand. :whstlr:

Too funny:laughroll thanks for the info.