Ricordia not splitting

Dennis7

I have a rather large ricordia with two mouths, which never split. Should I help it split by slicing with a razor or use fishing line/rubberband and tighten the line alittle each day to help it split. Which method do you think will work best.

Dennis7

Wooddood,
It's been 5 months. It gets extremely large, much larger than any of my other ones. I know I read somewhere that sometimes they have trouble splitting and you have to help them.

ReefLady

Staff member
In my experience, ricordea moved around/put into a new environment stop reproduction for quite some time. May take months, I had a ricordea that didn't start plitting for over a year. However, the best thing to do is let it be, and it will start. And once it starts....watch out! That same ric that didn't split for a year made about 8-10 babies via pedal laceration in a matter of weeks.

Travis

johnlewis

I split my with the rubber band method just about 2 months after it arrived. I am going to split those two next month.

ReefLady

Staff member
I've used a rubberband on Ricordeas, and it works perfectly. The trick is in how *tight* to put the rubberband, you want it 'snug', but not so tight that it quickly cuts through it.

I use this with regular 'shrooms as well.

Imperial

sometimes a ricordia will have mutiple mouth and not split. I have some ricordia that will a split all the time and then I have some like this one right herericordia with 4 mouths this ricordia only had one mouth when I got it about 3 or 4 month ago and it just keep growing without splitting.

just my 50 cents

mredman

Originally posted by Dennis7
I have a rather large ricordia with two mouths, which never split. split. Which method do you think will work best.

My ex-wife had the same problem, thought I would never get her to "split"!

Mike

Macbeth417

I have found a method that work for me.
I will place the ricordea at a vertical angle and the tissue will start to stretch down (trust me this strecthing is very visible). Then i just cut that tissue with a exacto knife. If you aren't up for the wait, that method works for me.

-Erik

Last edited: