rhizo coral

bonita

can anyone direct me as to where i may buy a rare red rhizo coral. been searching all over; or does anyone want t sell one?:ponder2:

Rhizotrochus should start being more available soon. A lot of people don't like to dive now because it's still winter in Japan.

nimrod

fragalot.ca has one for sale for like 160 i think. they will ship to the states but i don't think they guarantee live arrival because of possible customs delays.

cbrownfish

Many Rhizo's are collected illegally also, hence they are often very hard to find. I personally choose to avoid corals that fall in the "gray" area.

morrowss

When i contacted fragalot they said they didnt ship to the staes only canada??

fragalot.ca has one for sale for like 160 i think. they will ship to the states but i don't think they guarantee live arrival because of possible customs delays.

nimrod

i'm sorry. i have never ordered from them. i look at their site from time to time and i emailed burc at fragalot and he said they did. sorry to have steered you wrong.

morrowss

i wish i could order from them i saw some cool frags at great prices:cry1:

i'm sorry. i have never ordered from them. i look at their site from time to time and i emailed burc at fragalot and he said they did. sorry to have steered you wrong.

reeferman

old thread but please be reminded that rhizos are illegal to collect and import.some skirt by CITES misidentified as euphyllias but that makes them no more legal to own.lets all do our part to not participate in any buying or selling of illegally collected specimens.there is no grey area here,rhizos are 100% illegal to import into the US.folks like cherry corals know this and still feel inclined to sell them which is bad for the hobby.i know people have them already in the states but they still got here by illegal means and buying and selling them is no different than buying and selling any other illegal products.

old thread but please be reminded that rhizos are illegal to collect and import.some skirt by CITES misidentified as euphyllias but that makes them no more legal to own.lets all do our part to not participate in any buying or selling of illegally collected specimens.there is no grey area here,rhizos are 100% illegal to import into the US.folks like cherry corals know this and still feel inclined to sell them which is bad for the hobby.i know people have them already in the states but they still got here by illegal means and buying and selling them is no different than buying and selling any other illegal products.

This is so not true and has been discussed so many times. Many of the rhizos coming in now are from aussie and are legal to collect. Only those from japan would be illegal.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well without checking a passport I will have to pass on this coral. Way too many others to fill my tanks. Thanks for the reminder.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

catran

Well without checking a passport I will have to pass on this coral. Way too many others to fill my tanks. Thanks for the reminder.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

Ditto! I wouldn't want a coral that has been harvested illegally. Not especially because it's illegal but because of the reason for the restriction, if it's protected- it's that way for a reason.

I love reefers...

You guys should do your research before making claims like this and flaming vendors. Here is an article which uses a query to the United States Fisheries and Wildlife Service in which it is explained how most rhizo corals are legally imported. There is nothing wrong with buying, owning or importing them as long as they are not from a country that protects them. The ones coming in these days are from countries which allow them to be collected and exported.

This goes to you gareeferman...

Rhyzo Coral - Not Necessarily Illegal | Coral Magazine

reeferman

excellent info to know,thank you.so from now on,i will assume the mere 300 that have been allowed to come in since 2002 are all from Tonga.highly unlikely but i will go with it.the latest info i read,Reefbuilders from 2011,Australia still does not allow its export.but i must also admit,i dont go searching for the latest info on previously illegal corals.theres a reason why only 300 have been allowed import in the last decade and i still choose to not participate in the sale or trade of such a species.

fishguy4

I agree. These corals need to be kept in the ocean and regardless if they are legal or not i personally would not buy an endangered coral, regardless where it was collected

Where are you guys getting this? Rhizotrochus typus is neither endangered or threatened or or even suspected of being in trouble. Countries either let it be exported or not. They have quotas each year not only from 2002.

fishguy4

Well i would rather not get into all this mess is what im sayin. id rather just get some nice cheap hardy corals