RG's 100 fish only with live rock

rgfast

Hi all this is tank 4 running out of walls, this tank is in the kichen, got great deal on it from the dry/goods for sale site on my local fish club forum (segreefclub.com) pruchase price $200.00 at this point of my build under $900. invested.I will start with tank as it came home
IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

rgfast

well first thing to do was get it washed up the guy I bought it from was using it for fresh water,had all the little pastic fish homes still in it. The tank has center over flow came with wet/dry system which I guess was ok for his set up but I'm changing it to sump/ref. After good cleaning it was time to lay out close loop system, and thats when things went from happy times to well can't say here!
IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

while drilling first hole I cracked the arcylic, the crack was only about 2" 1/2 inchs long but wrecked my happy day.I went to my shop and cut a 3"3/4 patch out 1/4" arcylic sheet got my Weldon 4 ,to make sure crack would not get any larger down the road I drilled small holes at both ends of crack
IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

with this done went ahead and finshed drilling there are four 1" bulkheads for return and one 1"1/2 for the supply to pump
IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Last edited:

rgfast

well time to start plumbing the close loop pump is Iwaki MD100LT it flows to Oceans Motions 4-way this tank has movement every where barrow roll design
IMG_0478.jpg

with close loop in its time to add water for leek test which went well wow after the crack !fix worked great happy again so now it was time for substraight added 40pds sand med. grade 40pds crush coral and 40gls of water change water from my 209.I've been making my own DIY rock and first batch was ready so added about 75 pd of it
IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

next it's time to up grade lighting so I cut top of canopy to fit my AquaticLife t5 HO 48" 4bulb fixture also added 3" fan for cooling

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

well thats one week into this build I have added some substraight from my 209 reef and have orderred Garf gunge to seed tank it ships Monday

rgfast

this guy can't wait knowing that when it's ready he gets to move from the 40gl QT to the other side of the wall into the 100gl which he will be living in untill I finsh the 300gl
IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

rgfast

did a pump change on the closed loop system this weekend removed the Iwaki MD100RLT an install a Little Giant 3-MDQX-SC. This did a couple of things for me first it dropped total tank turns per hour down to about 20 .I feel that this is plenty for fish only tank plus much quieter and substraight is now staying on the bottom.I also finshed the return from sump piping,added tee with 3/4 ball valve for future use an installed 3/4 SCWD with return lines on each side of tank.As much as I hate SCWD's two came with my 300gl tank and I figured as long as it still worked I would use it. Knock on wood but I've never had problem with the 3/4 SCWD's an I've never had a 1" SCWD last more than a month

rgfast

very nice but little loud for kitchen tank my wife said it sounded like the dishwasher running 24 / 7

rgfast

heres pic with more of my DIY rock added close to 100pds now can't wait till my Garf gunge gets here
IMG_0488.jpg

rgfast

Sir. Asiffer got a new friend today, my wife has named him Roy he's a really cool guy adds a lot of action to the tank.When it's time for them to come out of the QT. the new tank should be cycled. Also got the Garf gunge today and cleaner crew,it seems to becoming together
IMG_0493.jpg

the gunge really cloud the tank up so guess it will be tomrow before I can see what it looks like can't wait to see whats moven around in there
IMG_0489.jpg

rgfast

thanks, been thinking of a cool eel I've had them in the past and really enjoyed them just been to chicken to put one in the reef tank,theirs way to may small fish in there for one to snack on

rgfast

thanks guys, the thing this tank gives me is a place for all those really cool fish that I would never dream of putting in my reef but really want to have

rgfast

the water has started to clear since adding the Garf gunge the more I look the more I see in it found some strange snails to
IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

marine281

The Garf gunge should give the tank a nice kick start.

I'm trying to talk my better half into getting a big FOWLR for those non reef safe fish too, we're up to 5 tanks at the moment though, so i'm gonna try taking down 2 & building another big one..

Relationships are about compromise right :)

1Reefer

Found it! Thanks for the link Rg! This tank looks great, idk why I wasn't subcribed here... I like the Angel, the Trigger is cool too though!

Can't wait to see your 300 up and going! But I'm still jealous of this one lol

rgfast

well little up date tank is going threw cycle now ammonia is pretty much 0 time for nitrite,rock is strarting to get algea been feeding tank small amount of mistic shrimpto help with cycle and keep cleaner crew happy heres a couple of pics. of rock
IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

1Reefer

Yay! The first sign of diatoms lol... it always looks so ugly but is a good sign. I like your rock as well, very cool you made it your self... I bet it will make the take that much more satisfying when your finished!

rgfast

yeaah I made another batch last week that I have curing right now, it's some cool looking rock with tunnels.will post some pics. tomrow after my reef club meeting I have a show an tell today with it an didn't want anyone seeing it before hand