Reworking my BioCube 8

Reddog170

I have not been on here for a while so with the start of a new little project I thought I would share.
A while back I downsized everything to just a single 8 gallon Bio-Cube. It has been OK, just never great. I have had 2 ballasts burn out, learned to hate the lighting all together. The filtration bugged me as insuficiant and a couple other things I did not like. But what I did like was that a weekly 4 gallon water change took only about 20 minutes, food lasts forever, and it is a cool little tank to just sit back and watch. I had one little fish, a maroon clown. I found her a new home and got rid of the mushrooms and misc other softies and got started.
I am in the process of doing what I started a year ago, a DIY led light. Nothing fancy, no dimmers. The second step will be converting a 5 gallon tank into a small sump to hold a skimmer and maybe a media reactor. Now this will not be an elaborate setup or anything. I wanted to upgrade the lights for a few reasons, 1- no more spending $45 every six months on new bulbs, 2- heat, 3-Better lighting = more colorful(and happier) corals.I wanted to upgrade the filtration to 1- better accomadate water changes and 2 improve water quality. I am sure that the buildup will be a couple months going, but it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Now I have taken almost a year to think this out and plan just how I wanted to do this rebuild, how I ended up with so many mushrooms I will never figure out, and have planned things out very carefully. I wanted simple, and efective. So no controllers, nothing more than timers on the lights. A simple nano skimmer, and some carbon for filtration, ( LR does the most of the filtration). The hardest part of having a nano, for me, is feeding. It is just WAY to easy to overfeed. I also found out that things go bad FAST in a nano tank. Not much water volume. So I have to pay close attention to what I am doing to avoid mistakes. I thought I was a decent reef keeper until I went with this nano, I now know I was nowhere as good as I thought I was.
Well that is where I am at now. Still reefing, and still learning. Shaun

Reddog170

Been working on the lighting. Had a heatsink cut for me at 10.5 inches long and 5 inches wide. Now I have put 10 LED's in place on it and believe there is enough room to add about 9 more if I choose to later. I have 5 12000k white and 5 460nm blue. When I lit these the first time I could see a HUIGE difference over the pc's that were on it as stock. These are brighter, and give a cool little shimmer.
I have also changed one part of my plan just a bit. I will use a HOB skimmer and reactor. Again just to help keep things simple. I have the reactor, just still looking at different skimmers but will probably go with a Reef Octopus.
I did get the tank started back up yesterday. I will let it cycle for a while before doing anything. More to come, Shaun

Reddog170

Well things are going well with the little tank. Amonnia at first test was 3.0, now three days later it is at .5. That is going in the right direction. Nitrites are coming up as well as nitrates. So I know the cycle is in full bloom. Hoping to get some stuff in by Christmas. But I am in no rush. Still watching for someone selling a K1 or nano power head used.
The bigest problem I ran into is that even after trimming the back of the hood I still do not have room for any HOB equipment. Might have to go with the original pan of having a small sump.
I did notice tonight that there is sponge all over one rock, just the one no others. That is kinda odd but not unheard of. Probably some excess nutrients seeping out of it. I will post some pics this weekend. Shaun