Reversed photoperiod in daylight

Basile

Having a reversed photoperiod is usually no problem with a refugium under the main tank. Its dark, behind closed doors, and waiting for the sun to go down and then the lights come on when the main tank lights goes out. Thats the idea for a reversed photo period to keep our oxydation and ph balanced during a 24 h period . The macro algae produces oxygen during the night balancing out the production of co2 of your main tank .

Now what if the refugium like mine is not under the main tank and is a display refugium in the same room . Now i still want to do a reverse photo period, but do you think i'll work. The room has 2 windows, which i'll dim down with blinds, to avoid the sun rays. And of course the light of the fuge wont be on during the day. Do you think the daylight will still be too strong for the fuge. Should i put a panel in front of the glass during the day, any thoughts on that???

Mike Johnson

I wouldn't be concerned about indirect light on the fuge. Some people run their fuge light 24/7. My concern would be light on the main tank. The fish won't sleep if the tank is lighted.

Basile

I wouldn't be concerned about indirect light on the fuge. Some people run their fuge light 24/7. My concern would be light on the main tank. The fish won't sleep if the tank is lighted.

Oh ! Really. wont they hide from the light? I could always put a skirt, velcrow and a drape for the night on the from of the tank no? What would happen if thy don't sleep never thought about it really.

jerry26

my fuge is off to the side and below my dt and runs in reverse of the main lights. it shines quite a bit of light into the tank and at first my fish acted different but i think they adjusted to it. most of the light gets blocked by the scape and just kinda creates a white moonlight effect.

Basile

my fuge is off to the side and below my dt and runs in reverse of the main lights. it shines quite a bit of light into the tank and at first my fish acted different but i think they adjusted to it. most of the light gets blocked by the scape and just kinda creates a white moonlight effect.

Oh thanks for sharing it helps.

Mike Johnson

Since most the fish we keep "rest" and not really sleep like we do. I'd judge if there's too much light by if they are swimming around at night and not resting.