return pump size suggestions

crespeto

I'm getting ready to set up my 100gal tank with a 55gal sump/fug and I'm trying to figure out what the best size return pump would be. The tank came with a Rio+ 3100 which is rated for 900gph and around 5 to 600 at the height of the tank. Is this enough, or do I need to get something to push more gph. Thanks

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I wouldn't use the rio due to reputation, you don't want your main pump to stop while you are away or at work so go with a more reliable pump.

My suggestion would be a mag 18

Willie McDaries

magdrive or the eheim 1262 both pumps are very reliable.....Rios do have a bad rep....that said,I have a rio 2100 that's been trouble free for a few years now but it's just used to mix saltwater.....

from what I've read,you need about 5 to 7 times the tank volume through the filter system,so your Rio is sized appropriately,if that helps.....

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
A mag 18 in all reality after head pressure and plumbed in 3/4" pvc will only be pushing 700-800gph most of us shoot for 10x turnover in a reef 5-6 is more FW imo. Keep in mind the flow charts for all these pumps are over rated and most pump 1/2 what they claim at given head pressure.

As far as the rio goes I would not use that as the heart of my system, with the money you tie up in these tank it's not worth the risk.

Willie McDaries

A mag 18 in all reality after head pressure and plumbed in 3/4" pvc will only be pushing 700-800gph most of us shoot for 10x turnover in a reef 5-6 is more FW imo. Keep in mind the flow charts for all these pumps are over rated and most pump 1/2 what they claim at given head pressure.

As far as the rio goes I would not use that as the heart of my system, with the money you tie up in these tank it's not worth the risk.

very true,most of the submersible pumps are only rated at zero head pressure too,my Eheim is rated about 900gph,my little giant is rated at 1325gph,the little giant feels more than twice as strong at about 4ft height....I've also read that the magdrive pumps need the next size larger pipe than what the output size is in order to get the max flow from 'em,I don't know for sure though.....I definitely wouldn't rely on the rio long term for a main pump

I've always thought that any more flow through the sump than what the skimmer can process was overkill,but there's nothing wrong with overkill either :D I'm only running about 4 time my volume through my sump and the tank stays clean,but I have about 13,000gph turnover in my 360g tank....looks like a jacuzzi on top :lol:

astiesi

Eric, have you had a Rio pump die or are you basing the suggestion on reputation alone? I'm just curious because I've heard the same thing about the Rio pumps but I couldn't remember ever talking to anyone that has experienced a failure, everybody just seems to have read about failures.

That being said, the MAGs are built like small tanks and seem to run even if a house falls on them. I'm running a mag 9.5 and I've had to throttle back the output to keep bubbles out of my tank, so in my experience it seems to be giving me the close to the advertised flow rate. A mag 18 may be a bit of overkill.

Willie McDaries

Eric, have you had a Rio pump die or are you basing the suggestion on reputation alone? I'm just curious because I've heard the same thing about the Rio pumps but I couldn't remember ever talking to anyone that has experienced a failure, everybody just seems to have read about failures.

That being said, the MAGs are built like small tanks and seem to run even if a house falls on them. I'm running a mag 9.5 and I've had to throttle back the output to keep bubbles out of my tank, so in my experience it seems to be giving me the close to the advertised flow rate. A mag 18 may be a bit of overkill.

I've only read about Rio failures,never experienced it myself,my 2yr old Rio 2100 still works great but it's only used 1st a month for about 24hrs to mix saltwater,but with all the negative reviews,I'd be afraid to trust it long term with my tank

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I had one fail on a tank i was maintaining it was only used for the phosban reactor thankfully but it lasted about 3 months and was junk, after that i did a little research and found they have a reputation for failure.

astiesi

Eric, thanks for the reply, I always like to make sure I'm learning from other people's experiences as opposed to forum chatter. I've actually read in some cases the entire pump melted down and harmed the livestock, but then again you can't always trust what you read, people get biased and often don't give all the facts (the pump housing may have been cracked due to the user dropping it and decided to use it anyway, noone will ever know).

Willie, I can't argue with that logic, why trust something that you're not sure about to run a tank that you've soaked alot of time and money.

Willie McDaries

Eric, thanks for the reply, I always like to make sure I'm learning from other people's experiences as opposed to forum chatter. I've actually read in some cases the entire pump melted down and harmed the livestock, but then again you can't always trust what you read, people get biased and often don't give all the facts (the pump housing may have been cracked due to the user dropping it and decided to use it anyway, noone will ever know).

Willie, I can't argue with that logic, why trust something that you're not sure about to run a tank that you've soaked alot of time and money.

I never fully rely on reviews either,it's always best to hear first hand experience with a product from someone you know and trust rather than the reviews,but,for example,if there's 10 reviews and 9 of 'em are negative,it makes you think twice about it.....I figure if there is more good reviews than bad,maybe some of it was the users fault but if it's more bad than good,it's probably a faulty product :D

if you compare the build quality of a rio to the more expensive pumps,you can see why they are less expensive,and could be why they have a bad rep....still for their price,they are great for mixing saltwater and less serious stuff like that.....

if it doesn't electrocute me when it fails :lol: I'll probably buy another for saltwater mixing....

I use a Polario in my tank right now that's made by Rio,the power supply was the first thing to go on it(after the warranty expired)but the pump itself works great,it runs on 16vDC,much safer than 120vAC in saltwater....I now have it hooked up to a 15.5vDC power supply that I used back when I was into CB radios :D

I wouldn't buy it again....too much money for the limited control it has on the controller,and it doesn't remember the setting after a power outage,it does move a lot of water though,but for the size of it,it should :D

sorry to turn this into a review thread,I have a tendency to get off track a little :D

crespeto

Thanks for all the information. I decided to go with the Eheim 1262, and it is running like a champ in the tank as it cycles, very quiet, cept for a low hum from vibration that I can't seem to get to stop. How do you wall suggest to reduce vibration in the sump area. I have the whole sump resting on a piece of styrofoam, but not sure what other people do to reduce pump noise from vibration in skimmer pump and return pump. Thanks again.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I suspend or hang my pumps so they are not touching the bottom of the sump.

nos2074

I have a Mag 18 running my 125gal and fuge. My pump came with a foam rubber pad that I place on the bottom and kills the vibration.

DaveK

I can't speak for Eric, But I have had problems with Rio pumps. I purchased 4 of them fairly over a short period of time. For awhile, maybe about 2 years or so, they ran fine. I saw the poor reviews about them and wondered what all the fuss was about. Then one after another, each one failed. I'd replace one and another one would go. Finally, after replacing all of them, I just forget it, I'm replacing all with something better. Now, I just didn't throw the working pumps out. I used them in non critical applications like mixing water. I have one left that has not yet failed. So we have about 8 pumps with 7 failures. Not a good record.

I'd generally agree with the others, Mag or Eheim for an internal pump. If external, I'd go with an Iwaki pump.

crespeto

Eric how do you hang the pump. I actually had a couple extra feet from the DIY skimmer I bought and used those on the pump and that seems to have helped. Always happy to have other options to try to get things a quite as possible. Thanks for the help.