Restarting using an existing system.

Surfnut

I've decided to use a mix of several old systems to build a 120g w/dual overflow. My thoughts at the moment dwell on whether I should be starting with a completely sterile environment; Cooked rock, new water, bagged biological starters. Or if the benefits of starting with uncured live rock; I've heard of companies guaranteeing rock from reef to door in a maximum 48 hours.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on both systems..

Fresh, Clean, Sterile Rock vs Fresh, Uncured Live Rock

The system will be lighted via dual 250w HQI's @14k ..and dual 96w PC Actinics..... 48x24x24 Dual overlfows with Sump, Fuge, UV Sterilizer & Heavy Skimmer.

lcstorc

I would go with the uncured rock and cure it outside the tank. This way you have a better chance of finding and removing the bad HH but you still get a nice diversity of life.

Reefwerks

I'm more a fan of sterility now days with all the pest going around. It seems to be getting worse as time passes. FYI you dont need to buy bacteria, a simple cup of urine is plenty. Sounds gross but its free and works well.

Don

Surfnut

I've been searching a bit online and I think I'm going to end up going with Tonga Branch Formations. This paired with a Bare Bottom should give me nice flow throughout the system. That is, if I go sterile. This type of rock doesn't seem as tho it would carry an abundance of hitchhikers.