Research on various effects of Using LED's as main light

lilridgerider

Ok here goes, first off I wasn't sure if i should post in this section or in-depth discussions section. Little background as to why I am posting this thread. I am a biochemistry and molecular biophysics student at a University. I am considering writing my own grants to start some in depth research into what I really love, reef-keeping! I have done some research on campus into various scientific publications to try and find some information on research already done, but so far either I am looking in the wrong places or their isn't any yet. So here is one area that I am considering thinking about going into some major research:

The effects of LED lights as primary light source on:
-Coral overall growth
-Coral's natural ability to heal after sickness/fragmentation
-Effects on symbiotic zooxanthallae feeding corals and their prevalence on/in the corals
-Effects on thylakoid's in the zooxanthallae
-Efficiency of thylakoids under LED vs. their efficiency under MH/T5HO/VHO/PC

Another area of interest for me is terpenoids that are released by soft corals overall effects/molecular effects on the entire reef system/hard corals.

So I guess what I am asking is does anyone know if any research has been done into these areas of interest for me? And, if so, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks! I thought there were probably some other science buffs out here in reef sanctuary that might have some insight that my young mind may not.

Shamus

Nice to see another science geek here! Welcome to RS!

Did you try some searches on PubMed?

PubMed home

Perhaps the library has access to Biology Abstracts as well...

lilridgerider

thanks, been here for a little while. lol. and yea i did try PubMed not too many results. our school uses SciFinder Scholar, a program that you can search for a specific subject, author, publication etc. from thousands of different publications across the world. but i am not sure if there really is anything relevant to what it is I want to know. hmmmmm. could be using the wrong tag words but i don't think so.