Research and purchase equipment first - Mistakes to avoid

AJK

Hello friends,
I am admitting to my mistakes, trying to do everything my way. First off, I should have researched and purchased all equipment first, now my #1 rule. Running to the LFS for this and that is very stressful, time consuming and expensive.

I began with tapwater and prime dechlorinator. After viewing my tank for a few weeks, I fell in love with my fish, a damsel which I used to cycle, but he wasn't an enjoyment, cause I stressed out about the water quality >>> I added more live rock I purchased, beginner corals, etc.... I began to stress out more about water quality, etc.... Regardless of what lfs stated, building my confidence tap water was fine, water was fine, my tank was doing well, I still stressed out about the water quality. So, I finally ordered an ro/di unit.

After purchasing beginner coral, although they were fine, noticed my lighting was poor, using fw light/hood from existing tank sitting around.

Well to make a long story short, I could have saved myself alot of heartache and stress, if I was more patient, researched and purchased equipment prior to setting up tank. Thought, I could get by with the basics, but the more I observed the beauty of my tank development, I felt guilty for my precious livestock.

Now, I'm running around like a crazy person, trying to make everything right.

Stubborn me.

Would like to thank particular members for thier continued help, they know who they are.

First mistake I made was believing SW tanks were easy, now I am paying the price.

So unlike me, make sure your prepared to begin the SW hobby, especially equipment :)

AJK

Hi Rob,
You did what !! Lol !!! We all learn from our mistakes, important thing is, having fun ! Your tank is gorgeous :)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
lol, today you have choices, when some of us started? well Edison was still a pup but that's another story, the only way to learn to play poker is by paying

catran

I think everyone has done a little bit of re-buying equipment! I went through 3 lights and I'm about to buy another. The reality of people like us is that we love our fish and corals and that the hobby is expensive. I was really excited to finally make the change to sw, but I couldn't afford a very good T-5 light, much less the expensive LED's. Now that I am am buying an expensive LED unit, the owner of my LFS is trying to talk me into buying a $1200 LED light... That is more than I want to spend! Maybe 2-3 years down the road I might regret it. Unless you're rich, this isn't an instant gratification type of thing, but i sure wish it was, lol!

AJK

I think everyone has done a little bit of re-buying equipment! I went through 3 lights and I'm about to buy another. The reality of people like us is that we love our fish and corals and that the hobby is expensive. I was really excited to finally make the change to sw, but I couldn't afford a very good T-5 light, much less the expensive LED's. Now that I am am buying an expensive LED unit, the owner of my LFS is trying to talk me into buying a $1200 LED light... That is more than I want to spend! Maybe 2-3 years down the road I might regret it. Unless you're rich, this isn't an instant gratification type of thing, but i sure wish it was, lol!

Hi Cat,
Agree with you 100% :) We do our best within our budget, at the same time, we desire the best for our tanks. I think that's the cool part about this hobby, taking steps to achieve a dream. Have fun with your new LED light :thumbup:

gbose

Cat:

I'm a total newbie -- still planning my first salt-water tank (I've been into fresh water for a year), but I think you'rw wise to avoid that $1200 LED. Prices are dropping and I'd guess this time next year it'll cost a small fraction of what ir does today :yummy:

GB

gbose

Cat:

I'm a total newbie -- still planning my first salt-water tank (I've been into fresh water for a year), but I think you'rw wise to avoid that $1200 LED. Prices are dropping and I'd guess this time next year it'll cost a small fraction of what it does today :spinner:

GB

catran

AJK, I tried to find it, but there's actually a thread about mistakes we've made. I wish I could find it, it's hilarious! Costly mistakes aren't funny though, it's pretty cool that you started this thread to warn others. Sometimes we need to make our own mistakes to learn. I know I did when I lost a couple of corals in my first tank, the 15g. because I bought a cheap light and it broke. I couldn't afford a new one and knew I wanted a larger tank so I postponed getting one and used a T8 for a while instead...losing your first coral is a hard thing. I felt pretty guilty.

gbose, I had no choice than to avoid the $1200 light. I don't care how good it was, I could buy a lot of frags with that extra $600. That is if I had it anyway!

edit: Oh, I found it... here's the thread- Mistakes you've made

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/indepth-topics-disscussion/31395-mistakes-youve-made.html

AJK

Hi Cat, thanks for the link, lot's of newbie mistakes, don't feel so alone, learned what mistakes to avoid too, Lol !!! Sorry to read, you lost corals, now you've become a veteran. I felt bad too, when my soft corals didn't make it :(

Super to learn, your tanks are doing well now :thumbup:

Happy reefing friend.

catran

Nope, still consider myself a older newbie. I still have a lot to learn, and patience is not my strong suit! Sorry to hear about your softies, they're hard to lose! I had a crab eat one of my Pom Pom Xenias, thank goodness I had 3 stalks. Good reefin' friend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk