resealing a 90 AGA seam

iggyman1971

I just pick up a 90 AGA all the seams look good except for one the silicone looks as though it's been scrubbed with a brush more than the rest. The edges are thin, jagged and closer to the corner than the others. I was told it didn't leak, but I'm thinking about resealing the seam from top to bottom before I put water in it. Would there be a problem just doing the one seam and leaving the silicone pretty thick where it touches the top and the bottom corners. Of course I would remove the old silicone from the area before I resealed it.

Also, any suggestions on how I could buff out 2 small less than an 1.25" across lightly scratched areas (looks like scotchbrite scratches, not deep). These aren't a huge deal they may not even be noticable with water in the tank. But, if I could do something about them I would.

Thanks for any input, Steve

Take a razorblade and remove the silicone around the area. Then reseal it with the AGA silicone you can buy at petsmart. Silicone does not adhere to dried silicone well, so read the instructions first.

BoomerD

I like to clean the places that had silicone on them with rubbing alcohol, to help remove any residue. You can get tubes of aquarium safe silicone at Home Depot or Lowes usually cheaper than at the LFS. Just look for 100% silastic silicone, and some even state safe for aquariums. Avoid any that have mildew-agents in them.

mps9506

I use the stuff at home depot also, DAP used to make aquarium silicone, not sure if they still do, but anything that doesn't have anti mildew stuff in it is fine.
This will also let you use a caulk gun, makes it much easier to run a nice even bead.