Replacement skimmers that will fit in RSM250

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Does anyone know if there is a Australian source of the Nano-Reef that with come with 240v pumps?

I've enquired about this and I don't think anyone in Oz carry the Euroreef. As for the 240v situation, Todd said they may bring it out in the future (I think), but for now you will need voltage converters. Or you can buy the unit without the pumps and source your own locally. Check out the Euroreef thread for more details.

jonoz

Well Im now pretty sick of the stock one.

I just did a 10% water change turning the chiller, circ #1, #2 and skimmer off.

Emptied and cleaned the skimmer then returned to tank and refilled.

Tank is now swarming with micro bubbles!

I think it might be bite the bullet time with the MC500...

Is it going to be easy to get running well? My main thing that I like about the external skimmers is that the tank water level would not affect their performance.

Anyone care to comment?

Manics1

Hello

I run the euroreef in my 250 and l'm currently awaiting the arrival of two of the new generation mesh wheels. Have been most happy with the euroreef but as l have alot of macro algae the mesh wheels often get clogged up with the stuff, thus greatly reducing the skimmer's output.

Have come across an mc500 and may give it a try, what with it's pin-wheel impeller it may not clog so much.

Anyone suffered similar to myself and anyone have problems with their mc500 implellers gettting blocked??????

Mike

Max250

Manics, so far my impeller hasn't blocked. There is a prefilter/grille on the right side of the skimmer, so the pump can't pull in large bits of debris. (I can syphon out any parts that get stuck on the prefilter without moving/touching the skimmer itself, that's cool).

So far mine hasn't had any blockages caused by calcium carbonate either, i'm surprised, my stock sicce pump air intake would block every month or so. FYI, The Deltec uses a modified Aqua-Bee 2000 pump (15watts).

jonoz

Well I woke up this morning, from another room! do the noise of my skimmer pump (Sicce FYI).

Took it out, cleaned it all till it was spotless (not that it was dirty at all) and back into the tank and now the same noise. I even put a 1cm piece of foam underneath it which has softened the noise but it is still loud!

So it looks like a Deltec MC-500 is the go, lets hope I could get a second hand one!

Manics1

Jonoz

The noise level of my 250 wasn't accaptable until l'd replaced the skimmer, both circ pumps and all the fans, it's all part of the fun.....

Max250, thanks for the tips.

Good Luck

Max250

lol jonoz. I know exactly what you're going through. I really didn't want to buy another skimmer but when the Sicce starting waking me up at night, it was time.

I did reduce the noise from the sicce a little, by jamming some paper towel between the front of the skimmer cup and the hood.

Yeah, it's all part of the 'fun' :D Buy one asap, then you can move on....

jonoz

Yeah look honestly I work from 6am till 6pm each day and only get home at about 7pm and have about 2 or 3 hours to relax before having to goto sleep ready for the next day.

I cant even leave the skimmer on now whilst Im home trying to watch TV.

Looks like Aussies really have to get the MC-500 as the ER isnt readily available for us.

I wonder if its better, cheaper, easier to get a really simple sump made up and run a skimmer in there???

Max250

jonoz, if you can fit a sump then that would be an even better idea and you can have your choice of skimmers.

jonoz

Well my Sicce impeller just died!

No skimmer for me, so purchase is required ASAP.

Looks like Ill be getting an MC500 as its the only one readily available in Australia.

Max250

G'day jonoz. How has it died? I've never heard of a sicce dying. Maybe something was wrong with it in the first place?

You could use a polyfilter (underworld product) if you're worried about organic/protein build-up.

Well my Sicce impeller just died!

No skimmer for me, so purchase is required ASAP.

Looks like Ill be getting an MC500 as its the only one readily available in Australia.

Global Aquarium can't ship the ER skimmer to Australia? Maybe they need a name change.

The Deltec looks nice, but isn't it like twice the cost of the ER and you have to cut out some of the supports to get it to fit.

Some food for thought.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm sure you can get an ER shipped to you as I enquired about this a few month ago. Just send Todd an email or pm. Sorry I don't have the link.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hi Jonoz,
We ship to Australia quite frequently with no problems at all.
The ER skimmer for its size is second to none Jonaz. You can get the pumps over there if you would like to go that route too.
We have shipped 3 over there and people have purchased their own pumps.
I am a hobbyist of 25 years and have owned the Deltec MCE600. The Euroreef pulls more skimmate alot faster then my Deltec ever did.
Then when the impeller shaft broke on my Deltec, they wanted 330.00 for a new pump. I could not get the parts!!!
The ER skimmers are built to last too! And parts are plentiful and reasonable! A whole new pump with all parts is 57.00!
They are great skimmers that work excellent!

Max250

Todd is right, the spare parts for the deltec are difficult to come buy in some countries. So take your time before you decide jonoz.

"You can get the pumps over there if you would like to go that route too." sounds good.