Removing sponge from coral base

I got a galaxea several months back and it had some white sponge growing on it. No biggie. Of coarse going unchecked it has now weaved it's way through the galaxea and is now smothering some heads. :cursin:

I have taken it out and scraped the sponge the best I could twice now. It is now shooting runners out!! Is there anything else I can do, besides scraping? :guns:

ReefLady

Staff member
Not sure. Manual removal is probably the best you can do. We had some white leucosolenia sponge in our tank, and it grew pretty quickly. It does have a tendency to cover/suffocate corals. Just keep removing it. Hopefully you will eventually get it all.

tidalzone

RS Sponsor
you might try doing a quick freshwater dip with water the is dechlorinated and the same temp as the tank for 60 seconds or if that is to risky for you try leaving out of the water for a minute as most sponges don't like air getting inside them.

funkpolice

ditto on exposing it to air. I don't know if it holds true for all sponges, but I know some die off if exposed to air for even a short time.
bill

Zeppelin

Try a soft bristle tooth brush. Put some tank water in a bowl deep enough for the coral, and put the coral in the bowl. Use it carefully on the underside of the rock/coral and near the edge of the coral skeleton, and it works great. Be careful not to get the coral's flesh. ;) Rinse the coral well with tank water before adding it back into the tank so small pieces of sponge dont get into the tank.

^ I did do the container of water method, but the toothbrush can't get in between the heads of the galaxea where the big trouble is brewing.