Regal Angel

michael_cb_125

Good Evening everybody!!!
I am wanting to see how many people here have or have had Regal Angelfish.
I have always loved these fish, and for me they are THE fish that pops into mind when I picture a coral reef. I always wanted one, but never had the guts to get one until recently. I read so many horror stories of fish that would not eat, would not come out from hiding, and were just plain sickly. So I always held off from getting one. Another thing that turned me away from these fish was the fact that I love coral. I believe that coral is as important if not more so than fish.

Well, recently I got the nerve to get one. It was actually spur of the monent, I was online and saw that Blue Zoo Aquatics had the Red Sea Regal Angels on Sale. So I ordered one. I was very nervous about the arrival. I had o work so I had to get someone else acclimate her to her home. Thank God for Megan (my girlfriend) she has an amazing reef tank, and she offered to help. When I got home from work the Regal angel was nowhere to be found, I knew that she would be shy at first. Over the next few days she would only venture out when nobody was in the room. Over time she would swim out in the open, as long as I stood perfectly still. At first I she would not eat anything. So I got my Mom (lives at the beach) to brig me some fresh baby little neck clams. Oh Boy did the Regal like these. She would eat four clams per day. Eventually I started to train her onto new foods. I would take an empty clam shell and stuff it with my homemade mush. Eventually she would eat this with no problem. Anyways, now she is a little pig, and will eat directly from my hand. I have only found two food she does not like; oysters and Kent Platinum Pellets.
She is the star of the tank, and will beg anyone for food. She is always out in the open and gets along great with all my other fish. (Potters Angel, Flame Angel, Two Percs) When my big tank was setup she was with a large Majestic Angel and a copperband butterfly in addition to the fish already mentioned.

Did I get a freak specimen? Or are most Regals like this. Do they just get a bad rep due to peoples lack of patience. Granted I simplified the acclimation and food training, it did take alot of work and time to get her to eat.

Anyways, lets see some pictures, and any advice or experiences with these fish.
I am away from my laptop, so I will have to load some pictures of my girl tommorrow.

Thanks~Michael

michael_cb_125

Another Point that I would like to make on the Regal angel is the following:
These fish are reef fish. They are found on coral reefs. To say that this fish is not reef compatible is wrong. IMO these fish will do the best in a reef type setting. I have had mine for a while now, and I feel comfortable saying that she is reef safe. IMO there is almost no fish that is 100% reef safe, some fish are just less likely to damage a reef than others. In the time that I have had my regal I have not seen her touch any coral. The following is a list of corals that were in with her:
Florida Ricordea
Bullseye Mushrooms
Hairy mushrooms
Yellow colonial polyps
Ring of Fire Polyps
Pink Palys
Frogspawn
hammer coral
poccillopora
acropora
lobophyllia brain
Duncan coral (whisker coral)
plate coral
GSP
Candy cane coral
I watched very closely, as I have had many of these corals for quite some time, and I like them.
I never saw her peck, pick, eat, or even touch any coral. I thought that my Zoanthus and Palys would be eaten right away, and I had a few brown colonies in the tank, just so if she would not eat prepared food. I figure she may eat those. But she would not touch them.
She was also in with a crocea clam. Again I was worried about it, as all she would eat at first was clams. But she left it alone as well.

So IMO Regal angels make great reef angels. I know that I am basing that statement from a single fish, but many others I have spoken with have said the same exact thing.
~Michael

Midnight

I thought that the reason a lot of fish are not reef safe is because they will eat shrimp and snails and stuff that clean a reef??

michael_cb_125

That is the case with some fish. But the Angel Fish are consider a threat in a reef due to the fact that they eat coral, sponges, etc.
~Michael

Midnight

OIC then like u said I am sure its never 100% that they will or will not. I feel a lot of reasons people have problems with fish nipping at corals is because the fish are bored and or hungry.

michael_cb_125

The new 55 will have the potters, flame, and Regal.
I would not do it if I thought there would be a problem. I am testing them out right now in a 50 gallon. Everyone is getting along Great. All three fish eat just about anything, and the Regal eats right out of my hand.
~Michael

rmlevasseur

I'm glad your angel isn't picking on anything, but I'm not sure I would necessarily say it is reef safe after less than a few months of ownership. Like most angels, the general concensus is "with caution". Individuals seems to vary greatly in their appetite for corals.

Here is a great article if you have not seen it:

Aquarium Fish

mps9506

Like rober posted above you never know when they may start nipping. I think most sps tanks do well with them as they seem like the meatier stuff :)

Did I get a freak specimen? Or are most Regals like this. Do they just get a bad rep due to peoples lack of patience. Granted I simplified the acclimation and food training, it did take alot of work and time to get her to eat.
AFA getting a freak healthy specimen. It all depends on where it was collected, the transhipper/wholesale and retail connection. Red sea collected specimens are preferable. Proper shipping, acclimation means a lot.