refugium???

mgregory

Is it best to buy "live sand" for the base of my refugium and then put some LR in there too? If so how much rock?

2 to 3" of Sand? or????

Once I add the sand do I have to let it cycle or can I let it flow into the main tank?

This is a 15g sump/fuge for a 55g tank that I plan to have macro algae.

Anything else??

Thanks

Mark

Frogfish

I just added a refugium, and bought some live sand. However, others have suggested taking from the tank if you have enough. Most would recommend a 3" DSB, if not more. The amount of LR I think depends on how much you have in your tank. If there is enough in the main tank there is not really a need in the refugium. I will however, be adding some to mine once I get rid of the bio balls. My refugium is about 4.5 gallons and I will be adding 1-2 lbs per gallon. That is about all I will be doing. Depending on how my sand seeds itself, how many critters there end up being, I may get some from an established tank at the LFS, but I think I will be ok with what I have.

Tarasco

If I were you, I would get some new live sand to add to your biodiversity. You can never have too many types of little critters. If you want to have a DSB in your refugium to aid in denitirifcation, I would go at least 4" deep. People often put live rock in their refugiums for added filtration, especially if they don't want that much in their main display, so it's up to you.

As for waiting for a cycle, I wouldn't worry about it unless you add new live rock that hasn't already been cured in your tank. Live sand should be OK, unless left out of a tank for transport for more than a day. But that's just my opinion.

mgregory

Thanks Tarasco.

Think I'm going to order live sand..they "say" it is bagged the day it's ordered and shipped overnight.

Thanks

Mark