Refugium photoperiod

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Do you run your fuge lights 24/7, reverse daylight or same as tank lights and why. When I was previously active in the hobby most recommended a reverse daylight schedule, because caulerpa (macro the was used mostly) had a nasty habit of going ballistic on a 24/7 schedule, but there are more macro available now.

So what do you do and why.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

gimmito

Reverse daylight is said to keep ph stable at night. I run mine the same as the main display though...so I can actually see it. :)

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I run mine reverse of the DT lights. 24 hours of light is unnatural for any living thing and considering plant life gives off oxygen at night I'm sure it’s not healthy for macro algae’s either. Having the lights run opposite may help stabilize the PH through the day/night cycle by having photosynthesis constantly occurring in the tank so that the amount of carbon dioxide and oxygen released into the water is as close to equal all day. I say may help as this will be dependent on the size and amount of algae in your refugium vs. the size of your DT.

wscttwolfe

24/7 is thought to stop caulerpa from going sexual. reverse is supposed to keep pH stable. I dont have a sump, if i did, I would run reverse

Blue Space

I use to run mine reverse light cycle to reduce the amount of PH fluctuation. I currently have no refugium although I will be implementing one again after new light fixture arrives.