Refugium Oudoors?

beauphus

Hello everyone,

I have done some research but cant find any answers so I wanted to see what you guys think. I have a 100 gallon display with a 30 gal sump/refugium underneath. I also have a spare 40 gallon tank with stand/canopy in my garage and i was considering putting outside on my patio. My main tank is adjacent to the wall that goes there and my chiller is already outside (covered of course) so the 2 tanks would literally be back to back with only a wall seperating them. I was thinking of converting the 40 gallon to an outdoor refugium with alot more room for vegetation. I easily keep the water at roughly 75-77 deg so temp wont be an issue. I am in south florida so my only concern is will I have trouble with algae growth. Also is there such a thing as TOO MUCH refugium. I would still keep my 30 gallon for a sump/skimmer and I would have the outdoor tank strictly for plants/pods etc making my total volume 170 gallon with display only being 100 of it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

seafansar

If you can really keep the temperature from swinging in the refugium, then I'd say go for it. Make sure you include heaters in it for cold nights. You might get a lot of hair algae at first, but I think if done right it should work well. You could also set the tank on styrofoam to help with insulation.

beauphus

i can control temp via my pacific coast chiller. it doesnt get very cool at night here usually so i am not sure if that is much of a concern. are there any other risks? is there such a thing as too much refugium - like over filtering?

lcstorc

I don't think there is such a thing as too much fuge. It is natural filtration.
I once saw a system that was similar but on a very large scale. It was gorgeous. There were lots of mangroves in the outdoor area. Maybe I can find it again. I'll try.

jnohs

yah thats cool. get some mangroves thay would probably grow very fast out side. plus if you wanted once and a while you could frag a piece and put it in there and hopefully watch it grow like wild fire.

i am thinking about setting up a small out side tank this year.