refugium lighting

funkpolice

I had a sm fluorescent light over my 10 gal fuge, but last night I discovered it was producing an electrical current in my tank that was strong enough to make my fingers tingle. I'm wondering what a good light would be for a 10 gal fuge with cheato and a bit of live rock. I'd prefer something really cheap and possible a clamp on since I have very limited space over the fuge. Thanks for reading,
bill

Luukosian

I use one of the clamp on lights with mine. I use one of the 6500K curly cue compact flourescent bulbs. I think its 80 watt or so. Heres a pic. 10 gallon with chaeto here too. I can put my hand on the reflector and its warm but not hot. I think it was like 20 bucks when I originaly bought it at lowes or some place.

sump3-1.jpg

Luukosian

I dont think its actually 80 watt...I think its 20 but says equivalent to 80 on the packaging. I can't remember though. Ill let it cool down and then take it out and check and edit this post. Probably need to clean the salt creep off it anyways.

Edit: took it out and cleaned it and it's 26 watts(100 watt equivalent).

mine are 26 watt that acts like 100s. i have two of them on my 40 gal sump and 2 on my 29. bought a 2*65 pc with 6500k for my 180 that i am working on. gonna swap it to the 40 gal sump. too many damn tanks to deal with. 180/70/40/29/12