Refugium advice

sh8wn9

I know all the benefits from having a refugium, and I think it is time to add one to my 29g biocube. I was looking at the cpr hang on back refugium, but I do not have enough room behind the tank for it! Says you need 4.5 inches, 5 to be safe, and I only have 4. Would it be possible to use it on the side of the tank?
Im also thinking about just buying a 10g tank and turning it into a refugium, but Im really confused as to what I would need to buy and how to set it up...pipes and overflows and pumps...stuff like that. If I did this the only place I could put it would be directly to the right of the main tank on the same stand(due to space restrictions). I would kinda prefer this setup so that I can also observe the refugium next to the main tank. I dont have room for anything complicated...so any guidance would be great.
Thanks!

DaveK

A 29gal tank is still on the small side. While a refugium could be of some value, I think your best bet would be to save your money.

Then use water changes to maintain water quality.

Your going to have to spend at least some money on a refugium, and pump, and that would get you a lot of salt for water changes.

Now if we were talking about a much larger tank, say 90+ gal, it would be a different story. In that case, I'd recommend a large refugium for use on the system, and it would not be a hang on tank model.

Keep in mind that a small refugium can do some good, but for the most part, it looks nice rather than does a lot of nutrient removal.