Refractometers

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Jack,
I did not mean to hijack the tread, but when I read here about useing RODI to calibrate I wanted to correct that. Your post about cold and room temp solutions I got the impression you are reffering to your readings where the same because you are useing a ATC refactormeter. I am not reffering to the temp of the fluid used to calibrate, I am under the impression that you need pinpoint 53 to calibrate it for salt water use to be accurate.

I understand that your statement is very correct like I said but only for the non atc units. Years ago we had to use that calibration fuild to calibrate now we can use Ro or Distilled if the units are ATC there are still units outthere that are not so the fuild is needed

BobBursek

Jack,
I found the article, I was wrong but going to try an attach it just for your reading. You can just go to the calibration portion to keep it easy.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
This guys is what Bob and JAK are referring to.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/14367-refractometer-new-ref-std.html

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The biggest issue with some of the Chinese refracts is that right out of the box and calibrated with RO/DI vs a known NSW std, such as PinPoint 53 mS, can be off as much as 0-4 ppt. I might add, there is no such thing as a hand-held refract for seawater, despite any ads you may see anywhere. They are all for a NaCl or table salt solution.

Boomer

Bob to move those artivles off of RC or anywhere to here, just right click on the article url and choose "copy address link". The reason you are not getting it here is software formatting shortens up the long link at times. This can be seen on RC or here where in the link you see a bunch of ...... If the .... are not there then you can just copy the link the normal way and paste it. Here is one of those ... links

http://archive.reefcentral.com/foru...threadid=102605

see the ... after the foru ? This is why the link does not work

Here is one with no .. and it works with just a smiple copy paste

What is Seawater? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I might add to this there are some refrect that do not have these big erors in them but they are like ~ $100. The ones JAK is getting for you guys are fine and what most use but all need to be checked.

JAK

I dont' know where you got them from but if not dirrect form the manufacture then try here next time, if you do another group buy, as these are the guys :D I do not know how many one would have to buy.

Huake Instrument Co.,Ltd
Hand Held refractometer,PH Tester,DDS Tester,EC meter,Soil Tester,Digital Thermomete,Huake,Hong Han,china,shenzhen

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I do buy direct from the manufacture & they are tested. I have put these up against 100-200 Dollar units & they test identicle

Boomer

OK JAK good but many from this company have been off -0-4 ppt when calibrated in RO/DI. Any hand-held refract should read 1.5 ppt to low when calibrated with RO/DI to a 35 ppt seawater salt mix. (3.5 or 1.0264). Meaning, if it reads 35 ppt with a RO/DI cal it will really be a 33.5 ppt seawater salt mix salinity and not the 35 ppt which the meter is reading. So, if all your meters are tested and good then one could tell the user to use just RO/DI and just have the refract read 36.5 which = 35 ppt NSW. Some of these meters are right on to NSW right out of the box when cal to NSW. This due to their poor quality control and poor optical properties. But, as long as we can correct them or they have been tested, such as yours, so one know where they are at, then they are fine to use. However, any hand-held refract is only good for a narrow range of NSW salinity. But all are fine within the range we use. It may have been that Huake just had a "bad batch" out. Hopefully it has been fixed.

Boomer

Well, then I do not understand what you mean by "I buy direct form the manufacture" as those you posted

RHS-10ATC - Screw Claibrated $31.00 11 avail
RHSN-10ATC - Screwless Claibration $33.00 10 avail

are made by Huake Instrument Co.,Ltd. Just thinking you can get a better deal from them. Unless somebody else is using their modle numbers.

RHB-10ATC  Hand refractometer.

Boomer

Oh, I'm pretty sure it is FACT. I don't see you posting anything that otherwise states that is not fact. You are just a another company SELLING something and who often avoid the real facts. Now that I see you are actually a aquarium company and not just a hobbyist, like I thought, I can see that. You just dont' want people here to know where they come from. I'd be more than gald for you to show me otherwise. It is not the first time I have posted where these refracts come from and I doubt it will be the last on any forum.

naperenterprise

Jack is selling a product at a very good price compared to many other aquatic business out there. His price is even better that DFS, and that is pretty impressive.

I apreciate all the information on this particular thread, but please don't attack Jack. I personally enjoy the deals he offers the folks of RS.

He didn't design the thing, this is something he has had success with and decided to offer it within his product line.

(Thank you Jack)

Boomer

Jason, I agree with you and think JAK's prices are more than fare. IMHO his group buy was a good thing for those that got envolved. At least I can say this is something rarely seen by others companies.