Refractometer Calibration

David Shaw

How do folks calibrate theirs? I do have some calibration fluid that i got from Stevie T when i ordered my media basket, but can't for the life in my remember what the instructions were on using this fluid.

When using the fluid It was something like it should be calibrated to read 1.027. But i am not totally sure.

Do people just calibrate theirs using fresh water, and adjusting it to read 0 ?

Thanks.

r2d2

You can use RO/DI water and adjust it to 0 but a better option is to use a calibration fluid because you calibrate reading closer to reading you are going to actually be taking.
GReetings

David Shaw

I will start using the calibration fluid then. Apparently you place the fluid on refractometer and using the supplied screw driver set the line at 35 on the right side of the display or 1.0265 on the left side.

I am not sure why this is supposed to be more accurate than using fresh water to calibrate but i might as well use it as i have a bottle.

Paragon

They key as I understand is to tune it to 35 PPT. I bought mine about a month ago, and we had all kinds of confusion tuning based on the Refractometer luminosity setting which was 1.3449 if i recall correctly. It looks very close to a SG reading, but I believe it is different.

Once you tune it to 35 PPT you should find that RO is +/- .001 of 1.00 and that your tank reads similar to readings you've taken on your SG historically.

After a week or so of working with the tool I've found I'm much more comfortable with the readings.

Hope that helps,
Para