reflector solution for diy DE fixture

tommyp

Hey all,

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a swith to DE bulbs. Does anyone have an Idea on what to use as a reflector. I will mount them in a hood and not in pendants. I imagine a spiderlight would need some work (flattening) to make it work and would not be an ideal choice. Would a pc reflector be a better DIY choice?

Thanks

tom

mwrager

Why would you want to flatten out the reflector. The way they are made helps dirrect the light down tward the tank. If you want to, put some aluminum in the hood where the reflector does not cover this may help reflect the light down.

tommyp

don't flatten the reflector?

Should have ben more specific, The spider light has a 1" V bend right above the MH lamp to divert light going up to ether side. The DE bulb monts to a flat surface ruling out the spiderlight unless you flatten that section above the bulb.

Thanks

TP

SZHTTM

I thought the DE bulbs had to be in a housing or pendant? I thought I read somewhere that they need the heat produced by the housing/pendant to operate correctly and to be able to produce the Kelvin temperatures they are rated for. Is this not true?

Thanks;
:thumbup:

Maxx

I dont know about that, But I do know they generate ALOT of heat. I have heard of many people burning/scorching the wood of their canopy by not properly mounting their DE pendants. I would probably suck it up and spend the money on a reflector by either PFO or Sunlight Supply. JMO...
Nick

Pro_builder

I second this one. I would atleast do a lot of checking on the heat and kelvin issue. I have heard the same.

I have heard of many people burning/scorching the wood of their canopy by not properly mounting their DE pendants. I would probably suck it up and spend the money on a reflector by either PFO or Sunlight Supply

tommyp

Cool thanks all,

Didn't realize that the Hqi's needed there own enclosure. Makes it a bit cost prohibitive with or dangerous w/o. Will probably just run 2 SE 250's.

I have a 65 and am running one iwaski w/ 200 watts of actinic but want to step up to two 250's because of the cross brace. Trying to get away w/o using actinics. Looking at 10k-14k but not sure what I want.

Thanks

Tom

danny254

DE metal halide are a more efficient form of lighting than SE MH. They do give a lot more heat, but along with that, a lot more light. You can always use halogen fixtures and put in new sockets, and now you have a housing and reflector for 30 bucks.