ReefSpace Help Thread

KimPossible

Ummm.. I have a silly question. When replying to someone's comment on your reefspace, are you supposed to click on their pic and reply back on their reefspace?? It just seems so confusing to me and teh chatter is impossible to follow when reading other member's reefspace...

^^^Ditto :bugout:

Melita

can a regular tank be converted to salt water with out to much problem . I just got a 55 gal tank and stand would love to convert it to salt water .

smkndrgn142

can a regular tank be converted to salt water with out to much problem . I just got a 55 gal tank and stand would love to convert it to salt water .

The tank can be used for whatever you want, but you will want to take out the substrate and replace it with sand and live rock...you'll also want to upgrade the lights...unless you only plan to keep fish, then the stock lights are probably just fine.

m

DaveK

You have posted on a very old thread.

To answer your question, you can use a 55 gal tank for a SW system. However, IMHO it is not a good choice. A 55 gal tank is very narrow, only 12 inches wide. This makes it very difficult to aquascape. People have done it, but you really need to plan the layout so it doesn't look like a rock pile.

The tank is just about the least expensive part of a reef system, so I recommend that you consider getting another tank. My personal preference would be a 40 gal breeder, a 50 gal standard, a 70 gal, or 90 gal tank. Of course, you can always go larger. When selecting a tank the front to back width is what allows good aquascapeing. 18 inches is good, 24 inches is better. This is partly why you see a trend toward cube tanks, to get that front to back depth.

smkndrgn142

I like my 55. Yes, I would like more room front to back, but i'm also gald the tank doesn't stick out further into the room than it does.