ReefNoob

KMP

no, i have not added a skimmer. the fission protein skimmer made for nano's get horrible reviews. aside from that, i haven't looked into it a lot, however have seen some mixed reviews as to whether they are necessary for our tanks. i don't think you could argue, a skimmer is a good idea, but the only feasible option i've seen is loosing your lid and doing a hang on skimmer.

hmm

Okay.

ANother question for ya.
Do you use ro/di water?
If so do you purchase it or do you make it yourself with one of those ro/di things you can buy?

KMP

i started buying ro/di [at the local supermarket] water and mixing it w/salt myself. i found a lfs nearby my work sold ocean water for .99 a gallon. since i've been buying the ocean water.

it would be cheaper to mix yourself; for me, it is convienent and the cost difference was not that significant so i opted to forgo mixing in favor of purchasing. if i had a larger tank i would invest in a ro/di unit.

12g Dude

KMP....You just want another excuse to go to the LFS! LoL! The RO unit works great for your everyday drinking water too. Mines plumbed to the fridge, sink and the Saltwater container on the back porch. I wouldn't be without a RO unit in my house...In fact, I've had them for the last 15 years in my last 7 residences. I didn't start a tank till three years ago. Just happened that I already had a RO unit to mix salt/water with.

12g Dude

You sound like Democrate....Equating Army with being Wanted...You got somehting against the military? I love our troops and would never slander them like that! I suggest you hug the first soldier you see. I'm sure we can reason that some how... through his dedicated service to his or her country...he made it possible for your LFS to sell the Sea water your so hooked on!

Can someone please tell me how to deduct Karma points from this guy???? :winner:

ghostwolf

Welcome to RS, PicesGirl! Looks like Kenny is giving you a lot insight and good info. Post pics as you set up and get running. Lots of Luck!

Lin

KMP

You sound like Democrate....Equating Army with being Wanted...You got somehting against the military?

12g Dude what's a "democrate"? Also, your sentence structure is lacking and you misspelled "something." It's Saturday, I need a break from correcting your work all week.

12g Dude

That's a good one! to correct my work...I'd have to DO some work. I just let you pay me to surf the net all day. What else do you expect from a guy with a 7th grade education. :whstlr: "To cool for School"

pisces Girl, Kenny's giving you the straight scoop on the set-up. IF there's one thing that guy can do....It's shop! Please post some pics when you get it set-up.

KMP

Fish wise -

Right now:

3 - Damsels
1 - Clown

Working towards:

1 - Clown
1 - Yellow Clown Goby
1 - Coral Beauty Angel

I also have a Frogspawn [that I think is dying from a CA and KH overdose], 2 snails, and 2 blue leg hermits. I got ahead of myself and am in a forced "slow down" mode. Eventually, I'll begin buying an assortment of corals, zoos, and an anenome.

I was looking into getting a RO/DI unit
do you know anything about
Coralife Pure-Flo II
does the filter cartridge or cartridge canisters ever need to be changed?

Barcochris

My advice would be to go with Slifert Ca and alkalinity test kits.

and do not go with the hydrometer,,, spend a couple extra dollars and get a refractometer.. uch more acurate.

The sand I would look into getting play sand at a MUCH cheeper price. I just went through that and got 200 lbs for 21 dollars.

other than that the only other thing I can think of is live rock.. 20-30 Lbs would be alright..(for filtration)

everything else looks great.

12g Dude

PiscesGirl said:
I was looking into getting a RO/DI unit
do you know anything about
Coralife Pure-Flo II
does the filter cartridge or cartridge canisters ever need to be changed?

Ro units very widely. I would say that you'd be good with a basic unit. The Membrane doesn’t usually need to be replaced unless you have very hard water and it's under very heavy use. Some of the more advanced units have a backwash feature that will help clear the membrane, hence extending the life. The filter cartridges will need replacing about every 6 months and cost from $20 to $80 depending on how thrifty you are at shopping for replacement filters. There's usably two or three filters. First is a sediment filter to remove any large particles. The second filter is usually a charcoal filter to remove odor and bad taste, then another fine "polishing" sediment filter. Sometimes there’s an additional charcoal filter before heading to the tank for storage. If you're planning on using this for drinking water as well as tank water, I'd recommend getting the four stage filtration for the added taste benefit. If not, the three-stage would be fine. It's possible to replace the membranes when they go bad, but it's kind of like color inkjet printers...It's almost cheaper to buy a new printer than buy a new set of cartridges. Membranes are pretty expensive. I think the RO/DI units are great and I won't be without one. Just remember to replace the cartridges and clean out with a little bleach (Teaspoon in each canister) every 6 months. You'll also need to drain the tank monthly to avoid bacteria build-up. Just open the faucet and let it run dry. It'll usually take a day to replenish.