ReefGuy's 55gal Journal

JWarren

Hey you fragged a zoa and it's growing! That's cool man!

Get a big bunch of cheato in your tank or some other type of micro algea and create some compitition for the algea on the rocks. That will help it die out. You can brush the rocks with a toothbrush (new) to help remove it and blow the rocks off with a turkey baster. Doing these things will all help!

It's loving the light up top. But, should be easy to get to.

ReefGuy69

Sorry i havent been on much. Been working and doing maintenance on the new house. Things in the tank are going good. Still batteling algae. I dont have the bryopsis anymore but now its long brown leafy looking stuff. and long green tube looking things and a few spots of bubble algae here and there. But these all can be easily plucked so its not a pain like the bryopsis and hair algae was. Recent additions are a Engineer goby hes black and white. and a sand sifting starfish, and a flowerpot coral. I have pics of the star fish and the coral but the goby was out and about on the first and second day and now today hes seemed to found a hole or something because i dont see him out and about anymore. Hopefully hes ok... Star fish is doing great. He hides in the sand all day and at night he comes out and crawls all around. Great for stiring up the sand. The Flowerpot Coral is doing great to. Its doubled in size since i put it in. It has seemed to grow more heads. I think hes happy. My wife loves it. Well here are the pics.

StarFish.jpg

FlowerPotCoral.jpg

tbittner

Welcome back, Dennis!

Beautiful Gonipora! Please do take an hour or so and read up on them. They're almost impossible to keep alive, although there has been new information become available that helps.

ReefGuy69

Thanks Terry.. I will admit i didnt do research on this type of coral and i got it because my wife liked it. I didnt know they were hard to keep. I just did my research and found a nice site im going to reference. Looks like this weekend im picking up some more cyclopeeze. and going to target feed with that as well as the mush mix i have been feeding. hopefully I can keep it long term. here is a site devoted to keeping them longterm.

Goniopora.org:::Goniopora Reference Web Site

tbittner

That is an awesome site, dedicated to keeping Gonioporas. I love these corals but I just don't think I'm ready for such a hard to keep coral. Heck, it's been months (at least it seems like it's been that long) since I haven't had PVC cement on my fingers so I don't have time for it yet. :lol:

JWarren

Nice update Dennis!

Looks like you are on the right track with your tank man! Keep doing what your doing, you will beat that algea! Just keep an eye on that bubble algea so it don't get out of hand on ya. :)

ReefGuy69

Update: Well it has been a while since I posted. So I have a minute to update on whats happened the last few months. I lost one clown. Just dissappeared on night. My sand sifting star fish is still chugging along. Hes a hit with the family. One clown is still happy and healthy. I added a black and white goby. Hes gotten huge. He started out this little thing and now looks like a giant eel. He loves building tunnels and burrows underneath the rocks. Luckily i did a good job pre planning and have all my rocks on top of pvc and had most of them bonded together. So i didnt have any rocks fall. I had one time that a power head came loose and landed in the sand blowing sand all over my Flower Pot coral. By the time i noticed it in the morning half of him was gone. Im hoping he rebounds. The other half looks healthy and like its starting to spread some. I still battle algae. I recently changed the power heads positions and it has slowed its growth. Im going to change the bulbs soon and im hoping that will help. I think i need to add to my clean up crew. A few snails and crabs have died off over the months. My snails always seem to find my power heads and they get sucked up. It is very lightly stocked as you can see. I havent had to do many water changes. I also feed very light. Maybe once a week. And everything looks very healthy. I will post a pic as soon as i can so you can see it updated. Im going to focus more attention and money back on the tank now that alot of our house projects are wrapping up. I want to get a blue hippo tang. I miss the one i use to have. i think were going to keep it lightly stocked so it wont be a problem. My fuge is completly filled with Chaeto Algae. I really need a new skimmer. I just dont think the one i have works well. So im going to save up one of those. My whole fuge, sump area has really worked out great. Not a single leak... knock on wood. So i can testify that plumbers Goop for sealing Acrylic to Acrylic works awesome. Its been a year now and it keeps on going. Well hope to get back on this site more often. And i will get a pic up in the next few days.

ReefGuy69

Well i have pics. First a little update. I figured out what might be causing most of the algae. I recently tested my RO/DI output and it was at 1800-2000PPM yeah you read it right the first time. So i realized someone must have hit the valve and jumped it up. So i changed it back to put out 4-45ppm. So i think thats going to put a huge dent in it. Ive basically been putting tap water into my tank. :( oh well you can learn until you live. So i will be checking that more often. Im also thinking of submitting my tank for the ulgy tank contest. Maybe i will get the help i need. I recently added the Blue Hippo Tang. Hes small so he will have plenty of time to grow. And we added a firefish. Wow can those things swim fast and they love to jump. Good thing the top of the tank is covered with the grates. Well heres the updated pics. Hope its coming along right.

Heres the full tank shot
FullTankShot-1.jpg

updated pics of the star fish
UpdatedStarFish.jpg

UpdatedStarFish2.jpg

The Blue Hippo Tang
BlueHippoTang.jpg

The Firefish
FireflyFish.jpg

The fuge full of chaeto
Fuge.jpg

and i have no clue what this is. But ive let it grow and grow because my wife says its pretty pink and not hurting anything. any thoughts?

NeedID.jpg

ReefGuy69

Ive got my scrubber up and running. I just ordered another Coralife aqualight. with the freshwater full spectrum bulbs. I also ordered another set up full spectrum bulbs for the one i already have. And i just ordered Flatworm exit because i cannot find a LFS that carries it. Just got done rearranging and organizing all my wires and timers. It should be good to go from here. Will keep ya posted with pics on the new scrubber and how its working.

ReefGuy69

Lights have arrived and are up and running for the scrubber. It will have all full spectrum 67K bulbs. I dont see much growth on it yet. I didnt seed it though. Im going to pluck some algae out of the tank today and will go to town on the scrubber trying to seed it. Will try to get up some better pics of it tomorrow. I also recieved my Flatworm Exit. Ive noticed a smaller amount of the worms on the glass and rocks. I almost thought about letting nature take its course because something has to be at work. But since i have the chemical i figure mine as well use it rather then let the problem get worst down the road. Going to get my carbon ready again and some pre mixed water for a water change. Time to get plucking and deworm. even though sitting here on the couch all cozy and warm sounds like a good idea too.