Reef tank w/Nitrates OVER 160ppm

Floyd R Turbo

RS Sponsor
I posted this question on a couple other forums. I'm re-posting it here to get as much advice/opinions as possible. I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions!!

I am working with the guy who I purchased my 92 corner from to help identify a problem with his 120g reef in his office, which has been serviced by a couple of different LFS guys over the past year or so. Being a newbie but a very quick and good study I knew what the problem was before even testing the water, but the test verified it, the Nitrate test was off the scale before I even got done shaking it.

After discussing the situation with another LFS employee who also maintains several reef systems, and posting these threads on Aquarium Advice...

*PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS TO OTHER SITE*

(read through them if you want, ignore the part about getting into maintenance business, I am going to just help him out with his tank and learn in the process)

...I'm basically of the opinion that I probably couldn't screw up his tank any more than it already is. I'm looking for as much input as possible on what should be done with his setup.

I've considered anything ranging from PWCs combined with nitrate removers to a complete tear-down cleaning. The latter is not preferred by the owner I'm sure, but it's probably the best solution.

Considering that it's a office display tank, he really wants it to "pop". Lots of corals & such. In any case, I will call on the assistance of the previously mentioned LFS guy to assist.

A substrate change has been suggested by several I've spoke with. What is the best substrate to go with, and how deep? Argonite or pool filter sand? 1 inch or 3 inch DSB?

I'm guessing that a deeper substrate would allow for a wider range of corals to be grown and a better variety of fish possibly as well.

I also considered adding a stand-alone refugium for pods and plants, for the Green Mandarinfish and filtering purposes.

Like I said, right now I'm trying to pull from as many resources as possible for ideas, for his tank as well as for my own in the future.

I have this thread going on several forums so don't be surprised to see it all around.

Comments and suggestions are extremely welcome!!!

Last edited by a moderator: