Reef Safe Angel fish experience!

FishinBob

Well I know most if not all angels are considered not reef safe.... Some more so than other like bellus, Lamarck, watanabe, and a few others. I have a 90 gallon mixed reef now and I added a large male lamarck angel (actually a favor for a buddy who owns a LFS) and he nipped just about everything... I kept nori in 24/7 just to keep him at bay.. Corals looked pretty bad, receding no PE no sweepers... I removed him 2 days ago and placed in the sump then took him to the LFS. Once removed all
Corals improved dramasticly. Question I would love a female watanabe but not worth having my corals look badly so any tips techniques or previous experiences with sopossied reef safe angels mainly specially the watanabe! Thanks

Jetbkk

The bottom line is that you are rolling the dice with any Angel you put in a tank with corals. Be prepared to tear down your whole tank to get out a fish that has gone rogue.
I've had a Flame Angel that didn't cause any problems apart from an occasional nip at my Zoas or Clams. I had a Coral Beauty for a short time that seemed ok too. However, I have read far too much about people that have had Angels that were fine and then all of a sudden went bad. Having just gone through this same experience last month with a Moorish Idol destroying a couple hundred dollars worth of Brain corals and having to tear down my entire tank to catch it, I would advise caution! You already had one Angel nip all your corals.. .doesn't that say something?

FishinBob

Yeah that's what I'm thinking... Lol tear down a tank nahh... Lol I caught him hook and line... Mini hook 2pm test... Was gunna bust out the pen rod but I wanted him out!!! Almost caught my Bartlett though... I guess thats the answer then... Any suggestions for a "show fish" for a 90 gallon mixed reef? Not many options that's why the watanabe intrigued me peaceful "soposivley reef safe" and sized right.. Lamarck was big... Aggressive and definitely not reef safe!

Jetbkk

Sorry if I came across too strong on the above post. Plenty of people have had dwarf angels with no problems, and I even had a Flame Angel that was ok. But it is definitely a risk you need to be prepared for, that's all. I'm a bit skiddish about this stuff after one of my fish ate my corals..

FishinBob

Sorry if I came across too strong on the above post. Plenty of people have had dwarf angels with no problems, and I even had a Flame Angel that was ok. But it is definitely a risk you need to be prepared for, that's all. I'm a bit skiddish about this stuff after one of my fish ate my corals..

Lol Not at all!!! I completely understand!!! Just in mere days the corals have seemed to sense the angel is gone(or he's not there to nip) and opened up and look alot better, finally some PE! Roll of the dice I guess. Don't know if that's worth the risk... Wasn't nipping much but still whole tank was upset picked on clowns,goby, anthias, and firefish!! Jerk

Intranick

I had a flame angel that I had for over a year at one point that was just fine around corals, but it's definately a gamble.

Willie McDaries

I have a flame angel,he's been in the tank longer than most of my coral,I decided when he was added that I wanted him more than coral,if I ever see him pick at something,I'll just remove that coral,but,as best as I can tell he is a model citizen,although I do have some zoas that don't seem to be opening up like they were,any time I sit down in front of my tank to watch,all my fish are out front bumming for food so I can't see if the flame is picking at the zoas or not

FishinBob

Yeah I started with the idea I don't want many fish/reef tank Now I'm intrigued by all the personality some fish have!! Like I said angel was beautiful and maybe from a small size 2" or so they might be a little less aggressive. I still don't think I can pass up if I find the watanabe female I want it seems worth the risk and if she picks I'll just set up another tank(lol see a reason for upgrade) a friend had a watanabe pair in a heavily stocked sps tank so I know there's a change just gotta weigh the pros/cons