REEF MIX MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE AND MAGNESIUM SULPHATE (8 to1 ratio)

billyBass

REEF MIX MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE AND MAGNESIUM SULPHATE (8 to1 ratio)

Hi reefers...
Looking for some help looking to raise my mag level. I purchased some pre mix "REEF MIX MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE AND MAGNESIUM SULPHATE (8 to1 ratio)" but there are no instructions on mixing and dosing measures. I have made a Mag Dripper but not sure how much of the above to add to the 1.5ltr of RO water the dripper holds. Looking to raise my mag to around 1300.

Water chemistry
calcium = 420
alk = 8
mag = 1150
sg = 1.025
ph = 8.2

magnetar68

Does the bottle have any dosing information on it? Seems strange that it would not. Also, I have read (Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com) that 10:1 is a more ideal ratio (assuming the sources are magnesium chloride hexahydrate and magnesium sulfate heptahydrate then 7 1/4 cup MgCl and 3/4 cup of MgSO4). Are you sure you mix is 8:1? If you have a 10:1 ratio, you could just use the dosing calculator on the Bulk Reef Supply website: REEF CALCULATOR - English.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
For years I have used this combination = 7 1/4 cup Mg chloride (purchased online in large quantities) and 3/4 cup Mg sulfate (Epsom salt - at local store) mixed in 1 gallon of water. More info can be found here: Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com (NOTE: This DIY version is called "Randy Recipe 1 & 2 versions A & B" when using the chemistry calculator below)
It is worth noting that most smaller systems can be adjusted by using water changes alone assuming the salt mix has the right Mg levels (check it!). Not all salts are created equal ;)

I have always used this FLASH version of the chemistry calculator: Reef Chemistry Calculator

billyBass

Hi peeps,
thanks for the informatin not sure it will help much with what I purchased 1kg of the mix, as the DIY mix talks about cup fulls. Pleases ee below what I purchased.

[URL="http://www.marineaquatics.co.uk/Marineaquatics-Bulk-Additives/Marine-Magnesium-Sulphate-Mix[/URL]

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Just use one of the 'dry' products listed and add a bit less if you want. The product you purchased does not indicate that it has additional additives so you should be just fine selecting the dry product on the calculator.