Reef Chronicles - Hayoto's RSM250 Build

hayoto

Your cleanup crew is probably doing its job and if he is dead you may never find any of him.I've lost fish in the past and never found anything.

You're not going to believe this! I found him!
I don't know how, or why. But he got trapped in my Protein Skimmer :(

When I went to clean out my sponges, and place my new CPE (My back for the purigen wasn't "Fine" enough, will have to order one tonight) - I decided to clean out my skimmer, so I turned it off.
When I did, and the bubbles/water cleared, something moved and caught my eye, It was my clown!

So after taking apart the whole skimmer, he gets out through the bottom, leaving me to remove my CPE, sponges, and everything else. (Needless to say I now have very murky water).
After one hour of fighting, I got him out, and he is back in the tank.

Will update you guys when it clears up. :)
Thanks!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Grouse to hear you found him still alive! :) and I'm glad I helped! Any bit of help or advice I can offer is worth its weight in gold to me so I'm happy it's helped you and your fishy friends :D

Also on phosphate tests I'd highly recommend the Hanna phosphate checker as it's a super accurate test (down to 0.01 off the top of my head) so that's my 2c on that :eek:lsmile:

hayoto

Cool - I have to pick up a new test kit tomorrow, and the phophates as well, since I need new ones any way.
Side note - the CPE is working its magic already, water is noticeably clearer, even with my Sleeper Goby sifting away.

Side note - I've been told my multiple locals; that if I have live rock, and live sand, I don't need the sack of rocks in my filtration for bacteria, as its all carried in the sand and rocks. This is the first I've heard this, so I'm wondering if its true?

I'm currently NOT running it cause the bag I used to have was used, and is all kinds of nasty (Just removed it yesterday finally when adding new sponges and CPE.
I'm also going to be picking up my own R0 filter tomorrow, as well as some salt. any kinds of salt anyone here reccomends? My first time I picked up the read sea stuff - this time around I'm not sure if I should continue with it, or something else.

Any special process for mixing the salt (First time I just dumped the amount suggested in the tank, and list the filtration mix before I put sand inside.
I want to make sure I get everything I need at my LFS tomorrow, as I plan on it being my last trip for awhile, and going into "Maintenance mode".

Here is my current list of supplies, I have on hand, and what I plan on buying tomorrow - Anything you guys can think of to help the process would be MUCH appreciated! :)
(Trying to depend on my LFS less, as I know they are in a sales role. They do good and I feel they give me good advise, but some new people started there and I don't trust the new guys much yet).

LIST OF CURRENT SUPPLIES:
Coralife Deep Six Aquarium Hydrometer (Going to return tomorrow for a refractormeter - thoughts?)
API Test Kit - Ph, AM, NI, NA (Need to get a new one, running low - will also pick up phosphate kit, anything else?)
Small 3x3 Fish net
4 foot 1 inch Siphon Tube
2x 5 gallon buckets
Micro Bacteria 7
Instant Ocean Natural Nitrate Remover
Kent Marine Essential Elements
Kent Marine PhytoPlex
Clarity water clarifier

Things I already plan on buying tomorrow:
R0 Filter
Refractor Meter
Filter Floss (Currently have none)
Anything else you guys recommend to get me through the next 2-3 months Before I need to buy more CPE, or Frozen Fish Food, or Frags
Thanks a bunch.....

And incase I haven't said this yet. I LOVE THIS SITE.
Never met a nicer group so ready and willing to share knowledge and experience and patience with a newbie like myself :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Awesome to hear the CPE is working it's magic already :)

You can still put the sack in but it will nearly be pointless as compared to the amount of LR and LS the effect the small sack will give off is nearly negligible so it's your choice but will start to accumulate some detritus over time and such so IMHO I'd say take it out, one less thing to overcomplicate and worry about

Can't recommend salts as I'll be using NSW for my tank, as I want to keep things as simple and natural as possible

Refractometer is a big tick! Much better readings and no need to worry about air bubbles on the hydrometer arm
Test kit list is good, add the hanna phosphate checker and you've got a great set of tests till you start getting sensitive corals (sps and some lps) which you'll need to add a Ca and Kh (carbonate hardness or alkalinity) test at minimum with Mg recommended.
RO(/DI (de-ionized) if you can get the extra bit) filter is great for your water as it will remove all sorts from the water before going into your tank which helps massively to keep algae growth under control
Filter floss is great to catch finer particles and really polish your water

Depending on what your temps are like I would also add a chiller to the list of equipment (its a serious investment as they are quite expensive) but they can save your tank from a malfunctioned heater and the inevitable temp increases from heat loss in pumps and heat given out by lighting and ambient air temperature around the tank

+1 to loving this site, wicked place to be with anything to do with reef/marine life keeping.
We all start out as newbies, so don't fret you'll get there with experience and research. Myself for instance, I'm still a newbie, I have done hours of research and have always had fish in my life and have a strong science background so I am quite theoretically experienced but when it comes to the practical of reef tanks, I know nothing really :( I don't have my tank yet as the red sea deliveries haven't made it to Aus yet, my lfs is still waiting to get mine (end of the month hopefully) then I can start implementing everything I know and start to work out what works in the practical side of things with plenty of help from everyone :eek:lsmile:

hayoto

Awesome to hear the CPE is working it's magic already :)

You can still put the sack in but it will nearly be pointless as compared to the amount of LR and LS the effect the small sack will give off is nearly negligible so it's your choice but will start to accumulate some detritus over time and such so IMHO I'd say take it out, one less thing to overcomplicate and worry about

Can't recommend salts as I'll be using NSW for my tank, as I want to keep things as simple and natural as possible

Refractometer is a big tick! Much better readings and no need to worry about air bubbles on the hydrometer arm
Test kit list is good, add the hanna phosphate checker and you've got a great set of tests till you start getting sensitive corals (sps and some lps) which you'll need to add a Ca and Kh (carbonate hardness or alkalinity) test at minimum with Mg recommended.
RO(/DI (de-ionized) if you can get the extra bit) filter is great for your water as it will remove all sorts from the water before going into your tank which helps massively to keep algae growth under control
Filter floss is great to catch finer particles and really polish your water

Depending on what your temps are like I would also add a chiller to the list of equipment (its a serious investment as they are quite expensive) but they can save your tank from a malfunctioned heater and the inevitable temp increases from heat loss in pumps and heat given out by lighting and ambient air temperature around the tank

+1 to loving this site, wicked place to be with anything to do with reef/marine life keeping.
We all start out as newbies, so don't fret you'll get there with experience and research. Myself for instance, I'm still a newbie, I have done hours of research and have always had fish in my life and have a strong science background so I am quite theoretically experienced but when it comes to the practical of reef tanks, I know nothing really :( I don't have my tank yet as the red sea deliveries haven't made it to Aus yet, my lfs is still waiting to get mine (end of the month hopefully) then I can start implementing everything I know and start to work out what works in the practical side of things with plenty of help from everyone :eek:lsmile:

If you had never told me you didn't have your tank yet, I would have never known!
Sounds like everything you've told me and shared has been from experience!

I'm glad to know I'm on the right path. I may pick up an extra test kit or two, as I have some VERY small frags in my tank, of red, and green Zoas, and a green star polyp, all came from my Nano, as my largest hermit crab (Size of a golf ball - not including the shell) was respondible for making them (breaking peirced of rock they were growing on, and tearing part of my GSP off). Will I need to focus on test kits for them now as well?

Also, regarding temps - I haven't had a problem yet. I'm always between 78-80.
I think as i keep my house 78 during the day, and 80 during the night, it stays balanced. I also almost always have the cooling fans on the back on to keep the water chilled.
I had to turn it off one day for like 2 hours because the temp dropped down to 75, but this I think was also because I had company that day and lowered my AC to 75 as well.

I've seen the prices of the chiller, and have some money put to one side, in case I need it (Summer kinda just started in Florida). Hopefully I can get away without it.
I wish I could use NSW for my tank! But the water on the beaches here is nasty - wouldn't trust it. One day though, I will have a boat and head over to grab the good stuff myself :)

Side note: I'm falling in love with the RSM S650... I've seen a few members here with them, and they are looking GOOOOOOD.
I think i may have a problem.... :( I think I'm addicted to reefing. Is there such a thing as RA? :yup:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It's all experience but none of it is practical as of yet :( lol I put nearly as much research into SW as I do into my uni course :p so at least I'm not short on the knowledge side of things (at least I like to think so haha)

Nup those guys won't need any extra test kits for the minute, they mostly get nutrients from the water and leftover food suspended in the water column so don't worry about the extra tests unless you want to keep sps or lps corals :)

Your temps sound alright for the moment, I'd keep an eye on it was the summer kicks in. I've heard the beaches are nice around this time of year :eek:lsmile:
I'm lucky my lfs stocks great nsw that most customers use

There is an RA and you're here already :p only problem is we don't help fight the addiction we feed it :yup:

hayoto

UPDATE: My LFS didn't have the R0 Kit I wanted - so they placed an order for it, as well as ordered my test kit, phosphate kit, and Refractormeter, for now I'm stuck with my hydrometer.
I haven't made a decision on which salt to buy. Any recommendations? I was told at the LFS that reef crystals were good.

hayoto

I've heard good things about red sea as well.
Whats your calcium come in at? I have a hammer head thats spawning its fourth head, that I would soon like to frag out and place a frag in my RedSea (Currently in my nano).

Side note: The Skimmer that comes with the RSM250. Is there an easier way to clean it out? I'm doing it twice a week, and its my biggest headache removing all the tubes and lids and what not.
There must be an easier way! I'm just to new to think of one :p

Lipman

I've just gotten use to removing it every day or 2 to clean it. It sucks and yes its a pain but I don't see there being a better way.

hayoto

Hey Guys! Just thought I would give an update. I'm still alive, and so are my fish!

I did a water test, and everything looked ok - Would like your thoughts (I'm a little concerned with my Calcium, as it came in at 500+)
Also attached below are pictures :)

Salinity: 1.25
Nitrate: 5.0
Nitrite: 0
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0.25
Phosphate: 0
Carbonate hardness: 196
Calcium: 600+

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Are you sure that Calcium number is right? Are you dosing anything? What salt are you using?

hayoto

I tested it three times to make sure. I'm not dosing the water with anything. And I'm using Reef Crystals.
I also forgot to mention when I posted it, I have this Brown, hair like algea growing in my tank that nothing will get rid of.
I have my lights only on for 6 hours out of the day. It used to be 8, but I set it to less a week ago when the algea was growing like crazy.

Changing the light cycle time did nothing.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Your tank is still relatively new so the brown hair like algae is most likely just a phase in the early stages of your tank.

Next time you make a batch of new saltwater, test the calcium level of that before you put it in the tank.