Reef Angel Controller

reefer gladness

I've had the Reef Angel controller running for about 4 months now and wanted to share my thoughts.

First thing I need to say is the Reef Angel controller is definitely not for everyone but it may be right for you if you're a bit of a DIY'er. How so? The Reef Angel is unique among the other popular controllers in that you program it yourself and write the code. It's not as difficult as it sounds but it's pretty far from plug-n-play. On the other hand, the ability to program it yourself makes it a very powerful controller that can do just about anything you can think of. It's based on Arduino open-source language but you won't need to take a course. They include a very powerful code-building tool that does most of the work for you. Forum support is good and fast. Your questions will be answered promptly but just don't expect someone to write your entire code for you as the tools provided are quite good.

Here's what I have:
RA+ head unit (PWM dimming version)
8-socket expansion (for 16 total)
PWM dimming module (needed for more than 2 dimming channels)
RF module (for controlling my Vortech MP-10w's)
Wifi attachment (for wireless network control)
Total about $750 USD

When shopping I looked at the ReefKeeper Elite (network) but didn't find a Wi-Fi attachment or RF module being offered and the cost for the same number of sockets and dimming channels was already up to about $800.

Next I looked at the Nepute Apex which did have a Wi-Fi attachment but no RF module offered. Cost for same number sockets and channels was about $850.

Admittedly I didn't spend much time looking at the Profilux (I don't speak German) but I pegged the cost well over $1000 for the same features although I had a hard time telling what was included. If I got this wrong someone with one of these controllers correct me please.

So how does it perform? Flawlessly to date. I think the Reef Angel controller can do anything the other controllers do and possibly a few things they don't. For example, the Wi-fi attachment allows me full access to the controller - on my smart phone using their free Andriod app (yes there's an iPhone app but I'm anti-Apple).

When I enter feeding mode for example, my Vortech pumps change to feeding mode and my return pump, chiller, heater, UV sterilizer, ATO and skimmer are all turned off with the touch of one button. Not enough? Once feeding mode ends automatically my skimmer and ATO stay off for an additional 15 minutes because I wanted the skimmer and ATO to be off for awhile while the water level in the sump returns to normal.

Because it's based on an open-source language there are plenty of sample code to look at from other folks. If you like thunderstorm and cloud cover effects on your LED lighting setup they have it, just look for section of code that has those functions included and copy it to your own. It's pretty much that simple though you may need to tailer a few specifics for your setup.

What's not to like? The whole project can seem daunting at first when you open the box and find no directions. They're working to make it more user friendly but you really need to approach this as a project and work in steps. Start with the basic functions first and then add on to that one step at a time. Go to their website and bookmark the forums because you'll be going there a lot in the first few days/weeks.

I also think the controller connectors and jacks are a bit on the flimsy side. Granted you won't be changing connections very often but it's worth mentioning. I have everything mounted inside a cabinet to keep it out of site and protected. Works well so far.

I also didn't have much luck with their dosing pumps with both failing inside of about 2 months. Upon contacting them they said their pumps weren't intended for the heavy use I was putting it through (they're programmed to run 15 seconds every 5 minutes 24/7). To prevent these misshaps they need to include more info about the pumps but it was a new product and hadn't been tested properly. That said, used as intended it's probably as good as a lot of dosing pumps on the market.

Here's an example of what a few simple lines of the code look like with some notes on what it's doing. Keep in mind the code builder will actually build this bit of code for you by pretty much just inputting the variables.

ReefAngel.StandardFan(Box0_Port6, 773,777); // Turns sump cooling fan connected to Port6 ON at 77.7F and OFF at 77.3F //
ReefAngel.StandardFan(Box0_Port7, 775,790); // Turns chiller connected to Port 7 ON at 79.0F and OFF at 77.5F //
ReefAngel.StandardHeater(Box0_Port8,768,770); // Turns heater connected to Port 8 ON at 76.8F and OFF at 77.0F //

I STRONGLY recommend anyone considering the purchase of one of these controllers to spend some time on their forums and get familiarized with the product to make sure it's what you expect. It takes a bit of extra work but if you're somewhat computer savvy pretty much anything should doable.

Edit: the controller screen is customizable as well. Pretty much anything you want, pH graphs, temps, etc.

DSCN0482.jpg

Cyclist

"I think the Reef Angel controller can do anything the other controllers do and possibly a few things they don't. For example, the Wi-fi attachment allows me full access to the controller - on my smart phone using their free Andriod app (yes there's an iPhone app but I'm anti-Apple). "

I thought the Apex lite could do this? Am I wrong?

modulok

Can you explain or show how the web interface looks and what you can do from there? From what I have read, you still need to program and setup the RA via program on PC hooked up to the head unit via USB.

knapp870

I am in total agreeance with this write up. I have loved my reef angel. It's been a blast to set up and gives me great piece of mind. I will mention that I had issues with spilling water on the control and shorting a few things, but these were easily replaced and didnt cost much. One advantage is that you can buy modules and pieces if need be to fix something you may mess up, I don't think you can do that with a majority of the competition.

Cyclist, yes the apex can do this, but you are going to spend quite a bit more to include wifi attachment, etc. I think I was into my controller for like $320.

Here are some pics of the web interface, not including the iphone/android app

Client.jpg

Widget.jpg

You can do set up from the client, but I usually hook up via USB to introduce new features etc. The bottom picture is the widget that resides on my work computer.

reefer gladness

Can you explain or show how the web interface looks and what you can do from there? From what I have read, you still need to program and setup the RA via program on PC hooked up to the head unit via USB.

That is correct and I probably should have mentioned it, you do need a PC (windows or mac) to write and upload your program from the Arduino coder. Perhaps the easiest way to see what it looks like is give it a try for yourself. You can download the RA installer here Reef Angel Controller (it's free). Once you open the Arduino coder go to the Tools menu for the Reef Angel Wizard which will take you step by step through the process of building your code. You start by identifying which modules you have and then go step by step for each function you want to program. It's easier to see what's going on if you just do one function at a time and then generate the code and you can see how the wizard built the code from the variables you input.

Once you have everything setup it's possible to change some things directly from you smart-phone. For example I can easily change the mode, speed, pulse duration, etc. of the Vortech pumps directly from my phone. It's a matter of preference for most people, I personally like to have everything in my program to keep the variables saved. It is much faster to use the Android app when trying to find the ideal speed and pulse duration for the Vortech pumps to get the wavemaking tuned to your preference for example.

modulok

knapp870, that isn't really a 'web interface'. It looks like the installed program that connects to the RA via your network. What I believe the Apex has is an actual web server built in, so you would use a web browser to access, not their software.

What is up with the PH reading? 9.4?

I'm fine with connecting my laptop to the RA to load what I want into it. I was just curious how much can be modified/configured without a wired connection. That's a good idea to test out the software, I will do that.

steved13

PREMIUM
Nice to see a write up on the Reef Angel. A few members have talked about getting one, and I always ask them to give us a review, but I haven't seen one yet. Sounds like a nice low cost option.

The only thing I would correct, is everything you mentioned can be done on the Apex, or the Profilux. The ReefKeeper does not have an RF module available for Vortech control.

"I think the Reef Angel controller can do anything the other controllers do and possibly a few things they don't. For example, the Wi-fi attachment allows me full access to the controller - on my smart phone using their free Andriod app (yes there's an iPhone app but I'm anti-Apple). "

I thought the Apex lite could do this? Am I wrong?

The Apex and Profilux allows access from any web browser. Also both have an RF module available.

reefer gladness

Thanks for the correction Steve, much appreciated to keep the comparisons fair. The Reef Angel tends to fly under the radar when folks look for aquarium controllers because no retailer carries them, and for good reason too I think. As much as I like the controller it would be a pain for most retailers I think.

One more thing, for the serious do-it-yourselfer it's quite possible to build your own head unit. The RA unit is built from the ATMega328P microcontroller which runs about $25 (board only). I've seen other Arduino based boards at places like Radio Shack as well. It's above my ability level but worth mentioning.

knapp870

knapp870, that isn't really a 'web interface'. It looks like the installed program that connects to the RA via your network. What I believe the Apex has is an actual web server built in, so you would use a web browser to access, not their software.

What is up with the PH reading? 9.4?

I'm fine with connecting my laptop to the RA to load what I want into it. I was just curious how much can be modified/configured without a wired connection. That's a good idea to test out the software, I will do that.

The web interface is hosted on the reef angel site and you can control things and set up text message and email alerts from there. This is called the portal. This information is set to be queried/loaded at a preset interval and can also be set to direct connect. I was simply showing another way that you can control/upload settings into the RA. Screenshot below:
Portal.jpg

PH of 9.4 is before I had the PH probe connected and calibrated. You can rest assure it is at a safe comfy 7.7-8.5 range now.