redslime bloom and white stuff on my frogspawn

Tuna

hello, i have a problem with my reef tank. Ill start off by saying my tank is 65 gal overflow,tidepool2,berlin skimmer,4 powerheads,coralife hqi 150w115-130lbs of rock no substrate.Temp is 78 degress on average and specific gravity is 1.23. Actinics and daylight were just replaced ,however, problems were previous.The lights are on for 12hrs actinic and daylight is on for 10hrs. So heres my first question,could the "worn out" bulbs i replaced be the cause of the cyano?

Nitrates are 0, Phosphates are 0, calcium is 420,pH is 8.0,dkh is 7. thats all i can check atm

i have only one clown,a cleaner shrimp,coral banded shrimp,purple linkia,the cleanup crew,and one unknown beast that kills small fish at night. Also there is about a foot long bristle worm that eats dead snails (not sure if hes killing them-there is always the same small scarlet hermit crab in the mix everytime i see the worm out...not sure if they are in cahoots or what lol

enough rambling,the next question is-what is wrong with my frogspawn? Im pretty sure this white stuff is killing it and its hard to remove. its slimey and looks like a web or something. its kinda stringy looking. it sort of looks like a sponge maybe. the coral has been closed for a week and the centers are bubbled out it used to be so big :(

thanks for listening :invisible

Attachments

• 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 222.JPG
    222.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 39

mps9506

So heres my first question,could the "worn out" bulbs i replaced be the cause of the cyano?

Bulbs are never the ultimate cause of cyano. There is always something underlying, typically nutrient or flow issues. I would continue to manually remove, and consider increasing the water change frequency, make sure the source water is good quality.

enough rambling,the next question is-what is wrong with my frogspawn? Im pretty sure this white stuff is killing it and its hard to remove. its slimey and looks like a web or something. its kinda stringy looking. it sort of looks like a sponge maybe. the coral has been closed for a week and the centers are bubbled out it used to be so big :(

I would probably frag off whatever heads are still alive and go ahead and trash the ones with the jelly stuff coming out of it to prevent infection of the other heads. A picture would probably be helpful before you do that though.

lcstorc

Old bulbs can certainly contribute to a cyano outbreak. Try adjusting your power heads to be sure you don't have any dead spots.
Remove as much as you can by vacuuming or scooping it out.

Tuna

i suck it out weekly, the stuff grows in like 3 days. im getting a little now and i changed the water saturday. i have new carbon and micron filters on my RO DI unit. ive used a whole bottle of red slime remover in my tank (over a while) and i doesnt help much. in fact it turned it turned it green once!

My powerheads are worn out and need replacing. the flow is a bit weak right now. im going to get a wavemaker unit that fits in the corner i think.

maybe i should try and borrow a canister filter and run it like a hoover in there so i can it all out...

Also i have a 16 gal across the room with the same RO water,salt. theres no redslime just some hairy green algea. so that makes me think the water is good...

this things a pod haven for some reason and i have tons of tiny white brittle stars running around :eek: (plus one big one;))

Attachments

• Photo001.JPG
    Photo001.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 39

mps9506

Check this article for more good info, and correct info on controlling cyano:
BlueGrAlgae
It is possible it could be dinoflagellates as well.

As far as the frogspawn. It's difficult to tell from the photos what is going on. I would frag that one head that still looks good. How long has it looked that way?

Tuna

about a week, at first i thought my clown beat it up a little because he used to sleep in it and hang out in it all the time. how should i frag it? :(

can i give it a little bath or anything??

also i forgot to mention i get a green film on my glass almost everyday,day and a halfish. Maybe i should drop the light time a bit? 10hr actinic,8 hr hqi better? this is the only coral im having trouble with...

mps9506

You might need to move it to a location where it might be happier? Is there anything nearby that might sting it or something that could be pissing it off? Also any fish that might be picking at it (angels, blennies, tangs etc)?

Tuna

a clown used to live in it, thats the only fish i have. I have witnessed the clown sucking on my hammers before...but it didnt seem to mind;)

i moved the peice lower in the tank after i tried to get that stuff off. it might look worse than it is right now since i held the base if it under the main hose.

mps9506

That might be the issue. I have seen clowns get nice and cozy in euphyllia corals before. I keep snuggling until they pretty much kill the coral by irritating it to death (I had a girlfriend that tried to do that to me before). I would try to keep the clown out of the frogspawn and I bet it will heal up.

blue_eyes53813

I battled some algae for months, The cause could be alittle bit of everything... if that makes sense, lol this is what I did to fight mine.

1. Upped the water changes to weekly. 10 %- 20% every week
2. added more flow.. This Helped tremendous.
3. Monitor feeding,,, Less feedings and make sure all food is eaten.
4. Cleaned RO filters every 2-3 months
5.cleaned all sponges , filters daily
6 ran ALOT of carbon and phosban 24/7
7. Reduce lighting photoperiod. I reduced mine to 6 hours a day.. All corals are still doing fine.
8 scrape and blow off all algae weekly , even daily sometimes...
Hmm all I can think of right now... Good luck

mps9506

One thing with the phosban, I recomend adding that slowly. Start at half the recomended doseage and increase from there. Anytime you rapidly change water conditions you can stress the inhabitants in there already.
A lot of folks had issues when phosban and rowa first became popular here because they were adding full size phos reactors and doing everything they could to go super low nutrient ASAP and lost a lot of corals in the process when their tanks rapidly cleared up. Just remember it takes time to battle it properly. Nothing good comes overnight, or even in a week or two :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
.....this things a pod haven for some reason and....

this makes me think you may have a flow issue. If the tank is still enough for not only massive prod growth but easy viewing (with lots of current they wisked away at a steady pace) then you may need to seriously visit your flow status. Get more flow if you suspect this is the issue.

Allen :)

Tuna

well the pods are in a different tank with no red stuff (same RO water)

i wont deny i have a flow issue...i seem to be just noticing it lol the powerheads are old and totally purple so they need to go. i want to get a wave box also but that has to wait (250 beans)

so since i changed the bulbs its not growing as fast but still growing...i gotta do another water change soon but i ran out of salt :doh: