RedSea Deco Vase Filter Not Working

Squidlitt

Hi, I'm new to this forum and salt water aquariums. I just bought a Red Sea Deco Art Aqua Vase and can't get the filter to work. It didn't come with instructions, so I put it together anyway. Stuck my live sand and live rock in there plus plants, put sea water in and the filter started working then shut down. Looks like there's some sand in there. Turned off the power and dug out the sand, but now it won't even turn on. Any suggestions?

Squidlitt

ReefLady

Staff member
Couldn't even find much info on the aquavase. If you're new to saltwater aquariums, the best advice- though you may not want to hear it- is to take it back to the store you bought it from and do some serious reading and asking questions before you dive in.

This can be a very rewarding hobby, but starting with something that small is asking for an expensive and frustrating experience.

I've been in the hobby a few years now and I wouldn't attempt to keep a saltwater tank of that size.

Sorry, JMO

Travis

Squidlitt

Thanks Travis, it looked small to me too, but the store that I frequent has had the very same set up for months now on their front counter and I thought that's the perfect size to get started. Live and learn.
Squidlitt

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
I've used one of these deco vases as a holder for feeders for my angler, but I wouldn't want to try it as a salt tank. In that small a volume of water, when something goes wrong it is really going to go wrong fast.

The stock filter is fairly weak and it has to be primed to start pulling water. I had one burnout when the power failed during the night and it ran dry since it couldn't start the flow again. If the pump isn't running at all it may already be burned out. If the motor is humming but water isn't flowing try adding some tank water to the filter. If you get the level in the filter high enough it should start pulling water on it's own.

I'm going to have to go with Travis, If you are new to salt, I would take it back, spend some time reading and visiting the forums and get a good picture of what kind of setup you want, then get the gear and get started. Take your time and be patient, as a wise person on one of these forums said, nothing good happens fast in a reef (or saltwater) tank. I would also recommend that you get the largest tank you can afford and support. The larger the water volume, the more forgiving things will be when you make mistakes.
HTH