Redoing rock work with mostly new rock

slfcaptain

Well I finally decided that I won't be able to get the look I want with the rock I have in the tank. Honestly I hate my current rockscape. I am thinking of curing and cycling a batch of fresh dry rock to replace the rock I have. I would keep a small amount of the rock that I currently have. If I do this can I expect the tank to have a mini cycle or could it be a smooth transition?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

DaveK

I gave your tank thread the "five minute, all inclusive, in depth, evaluation" (grin) in regard to your aquascape and I don't see any particular issues. You have nice LR, more or less what I would use myself. You may want to rearange the rock, or build a structure to support it. You may want to add a piece or two of new rock, or take a hammer and cold chisel to one or more rocks and reshape it, but I see no big advantage to curing a new batch of LR.

So I have a few questions for you -
What exactly do you not like about your current aquascape?
Could you post a link or some picts to examples of similar size tanks where you do like the aquascape?

slfcaptain

Thanks for looking. ☺

There are multiple things I don't like. The piece on the right is two large rocks epoxied together. I would like it better in a large tank but in mine it looks too overwhelming. It also limits the places where I can place corals because t
It creates a lot of overhangs. So I'll get good coral growth on the top but I'll have large bare spots all along the sides. The stuff on the left is just a hodgepodge of extra rock.

I have left over rock from setting up and I have been playing with it. I feel I can come up with a nice structure with it. Easier to come up with something when it's dry, more time to experiment. If I do that then I would put that new structure in and then supplement with my existing rock.

I am still looking for a good example of what I want. Regardless, I just don't feel happy with the current setup. I need a change.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk