red slime algae

blondie323

Does anyone have a quick inexpensive way to kill this stuff as I have quite a bit of it on my powerheads as well as some of my l/r.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Cyano feeds off of phosphates, nitrAtes, low oxygen, and red spectrum lighting. So, add phosban; use ro/di water, keep up with your water changes, make sure you have good flow to reduce stagnant areas, and be sure to replace your florescent bulbs every 8 mo.

In the interim, physically remove as much as you can. In doing so, you not only remove the unsightly algae, but you also are exporting the nutrients that it has absorbed.

blue_eyes53813

Also make sure you are not over feeding.. Shut off powerheads and blow off the rocks and and equipment with a turkey baster and scoop out all floating algae with a net. The easiest most inexpensive way to remove it taking out as much as you can and monitor feeding and what Woodstock mentioned above.. Good Luck

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Might I also add turning your lights off as well....I have went many many rounds with the stuff and quickly becoming an expert on removing it...I wonder if that is a good idea to be an expert on? :rolleyes:

Keep us posted how it goes...I would be willing to share my WONDERFUL experiences with the stuff if you like! :grr:

Cheers!
:)