Red Sea - Sharm El Sheik - Trip Report

L.Baldrey

Sharing it with all my reefer mates...

Air Temperature : 31C

Water Temperature
At Surface : 26C
Bottom : 21-24

Viz : 20-30m

Did 3 dives in all I was gonna do 6 dives + a night dive at the magnificent house reef of the hotel but my plans were altered after my Canon digital flooded. I managed these pics though...Was so damn irritated.

The reef is alive and recovering fast I think people, Thank God…nearly 20-30m viz

1st dive – Coral Beach Tiran – House Reef

Surreal blue waters the type you see on National Geographic…Jumped in to a very slight current at the surface and descended to 5m tried switching on the digital camera and saw that it had flooded. Came up cursed threw the thing onto the jetty and went down again…descended to 15m and began my dive…it was an amazing dive….

Things I saw...

Corals :

Thousands of Pumping Xenia, Huge Leather corals, Purple & Pink Acropora, Pink Stylo, Millepora, Carnation coral, bright pink, dark blue, orange and pink dendro, lime coloured scleronepthya, black sun coral, bubble coral, too many other corals to remember too fascinated to count.

Fish…
Thousands upon thousands of Anthia squamipinnis females and males with their harems gorgeous against the blue backdrop…how I missed my camera Large Groupers, chromis, fridmani dottybacks, hawkfish, giant morays, cardinalfish, clownfish, triggers, sohals, butterflys, blenny’s phewwwww

Inverts
Pink / Black Urchins, BTAs, Sexy Shrimp, LTAs again the excitement makes me forget the species I saw…

2nd Dive- Jackson Reef – Straits of Tiran

A very famous dive site in the Red Sea and apparently one of the best places to see Hammerhead sharks due to the currents and profusion of fish life…accessible only by boat.

Since anchoring is not allowed anywhere in the red sea the dive master jumped in and secured the boat to some moorings on the reef with rope…

After that we jumped off the boat and into a strong current at the surface and swam to the reef edge where we descended asap to 10m took the disposable camera on this dive and the pics are all from Jackson reef.

It was a marvellous dive…

Big Coral formations and fish all over the place…every now and then kept looking into the blue for a manta or a shark but nothing…about 10 minutes into the dive I heard someone bangin on his tank to get everyones attention and he then but both his fists to the side of his head…I turned and looked and there was this big hammerhead shark approx 3m making its way to the reef…it just approached and then passed by and disappeared into the depths…my first big shark experience…I was excited…breathed in a little more air than normal….hahahaha

Then there was a big eagle ray about 2m wingspan and a large hawksbill turtle…surfaced after 50 minutes with everyone excited from the shark experience

3rd Dive - Ras Nasrani

Similar to the house reef dive except there were piles of sea squirts in the water…apparently this is the place to see Manta Rays….but sadly it wasn’t to be for me…
Saw the usual stuff but did see something interesting… a moray trying to attack a puffer and the puffer blew itself up to a basketball size…cute.

Im back at work now and I wish I was in Sharm again…..sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I love Canon cameras but no more Canon housings for me…Its just plain unreliable to me…I cleaned and took the pre dive preparations seriously but to me its not worth the headache….

This is the 2nd canon camera im losing in a Canon housing….Id rather invest in something better like maybe Ikelite or even Olympus …

:)

Last edited:

L.Baldrey

Here are the pics...

Red Sea Banner Fish

Anthias in Millepora

Red Sea Butterfly's over Goniopora field

Cup Coral ?

Half Bleached or Half Recovering Acropora

Anthias Anthias Anthias

Eagle Ray Close up

Glass Fish by the million

Eagle Ray in Flight

Red Sea Clownfish scene

Floating Turtle

Hammerhead Shark

Gina

RS STAFF
OMG! What an experience that must have been! The pictures are very exciting to see. I really was impressed with the Eagle Ray! I would love to learn how to scuba dive! Thanks and karma for sharing your pictures with us!

L.Baldrey

Thanks people...

I just couldnt help thinking "FRAGS" considering the limited stuff that gets sold in Dubai :)