Red Sea Max T5 + LED upgrades

salty23

Hey guys,

So I see alot of RSM owners switching over to FULL led setups and taking out there T5s etc.
However I am looking for some owners, specifically RSM S650 tanks which have "added" led strips or lighting into their tanks and have kept their T5s as well.

I've searched around and only can find some full retrofits, however What i am leaning towards is adding some ecoxotic led strips on the underside of the T5s on my tank.
Any additional information is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Reefie

Ecoxotic LED Strips are only useful for color supplementation. They are not strong enough to improve growth. If you just want to add more Blue or Violet to your tank, you can't go wrong with the LED Strips. I've used them for years on multiple tanks.
Take note that they are not water proof, any salt creep on them will cause some of the LEDs to short circuit. They seem to be wired in series, if 1 LED burns out/shorts, the LEDs wired after it will not work.

Danreef

Ecoxotic LED Strips are only useful for color supplementation. They are not strong enough to improve growth. If you just want to add more Blue or Violet to your tank, you can't go wrong with the LED Strips. I've used them for years on multiple tanks.
Take note that they are not water proof, any salt creep on them will cause some of the LEDs to short circuit. They seem to be wired in series, if 1 LED burns out/shorts, the LEDs wired after it will not work.

The Ecoxotic and Truelumen Pro LED I have in the tank hood have been exposed to direct water for more than 6 months and they are OK. On another tank due to attachment issues they finish under the water for some minutes and they were OK. They are waterproof. But not to have them underwater for hours or days.

Perfect LED strips for those use.....and they growth corals too. Depend on how many you use !!!

Daniel

Choff

You want to keep all 10 t5? If you go the Steve's route you only lose the middle 2 and you can still run 8 t5s with it

...stupid auto correct

Joeys Tank

^+1

Also, if keeping the 8 t5s, you will want to make sure ventilation is well addressed due to proximity heating.

zulu27

Hey guys can anyone recommend a set of led lights I can buy that would be any good in my rsm 250 lid. I don't really want to take the lid of and hang them. Thanks

Joeys Tank

I feel there are a few retrofit kits out there, Zulu, which allows you to keep the hood. Some are DIY, while I know Steve's LEDs has a mod kit for the 250. Check it out.

salty23

The Ecoxotic and Truelumen Pro LED I have in the tank hood have been exposed to direct water for more than 6 months and they are OK. On another tank due to attachment issues they finish under the water for some minutes and they were OK. They are waterproof. But not to have them underwater for hours or days.

Perfect LED strips for those use.....and they growth corals too. Depend on how many you use !!!

Daniel
Dan.
Awesome and thanks for your feedback.
I was planning to add a strip of the Royal blues and 1 strip of magenta (uv?) to supplement my 10 t5s.
I'll have a look at your build. Do you feel the Royal blues or the magenta help more?

salty23

You want to keep all 10 t5? If you go the Steve's route you only lose the middle 2 and you can still run 8 t5s with it

...stupid auto correct
Choff. I'll be keeping the 10 t5s for now. However after you mentioned that. I really like that idea and may possibly have to try that route very soon. Hopefully I can find another tank that had gone thru this and get some feed back.

salty23

Hey guys can anyone recommend a set of led lights I can buy that would be any good in my rsm 250 lid. I don't really want to take the lid of and hang them. Thanks
Zulu check out my rsm250 build thread. I did the rapid led build and it was great.