Red Sea Max - slow and steady

just read the link - ok, no live rock.

Do I have to keep this QT running all the time for sick fish? I think I know the answer to this, but I would rather pull it out and add water from the main tank if I had to QT a fish.

Everything is still doing great and the ammonia and nitrites are still 0. I had family in this weekend and did not get to do a water change, but the nitrates are steady at 20. I am doing a water change tonight. I went to get some more members of my clean up crew, but one of the LFS nearest to me had some, but I saw too many tanks with dead fish in them. It just didn't look tidy to me so I will have to make the drive to the bigger one.

I am convinced that my anemone is a rock flower anemone and from what I read it should be fine. It actually decided to split and now I have two of them! Still pretty small so i will keep an eye on them since I do not want a huge anemone in the tank.

I still need to find time to do my final aquascaping and get the rocks set with epoxy. I want to do this before I add any fish or corals.

Well its been 2 months since I started and my Ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrate levels have all been 0 for a full month now. I will be getting the other test kits this weekend - I can't find them at any of the close LFS so I have to drive a bit to get them.

I am having some issues with algae. Mostly hair algae on one rock and cyano algae on the sand. I am sure the cyano algae is more to do with overfeeding at this point so I am working on that. The hair algae will be removed this weekend. My 2 kids will be spending the week with my parents and thus I will have time to finally aquascape my tank. I am going to create more flow and drill the rock and connect with rods and epoxy. I want it to be stable and I would like to create some nice tunnels and caves under the rock.

I have purchased 2 ricordea, but one came unattached from its base and slipped into a crevice. I thought it would be fine and looked healthy and figured it would attach there since it couldn't blow away. Well it slipped all the way into the rock - did not realize the hole went that deep and I could not get it out. :(. The other ric is doing great, but I want to get it off its small base and put it on one of my rocks after I aquascape. I also bought 3 small frags that are growing nicely. I think they are polyps/zoas, but I can post pics later to confirm. I still have my two flower anemones that came as a hitchiker that split. They are growing nicely and although not the prettiest flower anenomes, they are the first sign of life I saw in my tank so they have sentimental meaning :). I have yet to see a single bad hitchiker. I have some asteria starfish and Stomatella snails (at least 10-15 of them).

I bought an Allardi Clownfish and my wife bought me a Caribbean Feather Duster and Royal Dottyback. I did buy a Lawnmower Blenny, but I have not seen him since the second day after I got him. I figure he is a goner :(. I will likely get another one after I get my rocks set up correctly.

My want list includes 1 more fish (unsure of what kind), a couple shrimp (again unsure what kind), a nice selection of rics, and a bubble tip anenome. I am waiting to find the right anenome - I will know when I see it, but so far the ones I have seen in the store just did not look very healthy. I am perfectly fine with waiting.

I know this sucks without pics - this weekend I will put a bunch up.

Oh yeah - for newbies, get the magnetic algae cleaner - it works so much better than any of the handled ones!

tbittner

Just so you know, by taking the rock out of the tank to drill it and install rods to assist you with aquascaping, you're going to most likely get a mini cycle. Air will kill the bacteria closest to the surface so the tank will cycle again. How bad and for how long depends on how long the rock is out of water.

Just so you know, by taking the rock out of the tank to drill it and install rods to assist you with aquascaping, you're going to most likely get a mini cycle. Air will kill the bacteria closest to the surface so the tank will cycle again. How bad and for how long depends on how long the rock is out of water.

I hope to only drill a few rocks to shore things up and then use epoxy in other spots. I will have the rock in a container and only have it out when drilling. I wish I would have done this from the beginning, but I am sure most people say that all the time about this or that.