Red Sea Max S 650 etc and 2 weeks holidays ??

SPR

Hi Guys

I am do to go away in the new year and although I have someone who can top of the ATO and feed, I am weary as last time I was away i had a few issues with the skimmer being turned down, water quality suffering badly which I assume was food and the reduced skimmer, which I think led to the death of my very expensive clam

I just wondered what you guys do and do you make any preparations for a 2 week break if you don't have any help for Example?

I am thinking of setting up 60 or maybe 120 litre additional ATO bucket in addition to the inbuilt one as well

coralrama

I use a jbj Ato to fill the ato chamber. An apex controller also helps a lot if you also have a wifi camera so you can see your tank and sump. That way you can turn off the skimmer if it goes nuts, and have some basic peace of mind. It's even possible to install a float switch in your skimmer that will turn it off when the cup is full.
Feeding is tough. I have pellets in an auto feeder, but they aren't super accurate and I prefer to feed frozen.

SPR

I use a jbj Ato to fill the ato chamber. An apex controller frozen.

Do you have a large water bucket with the ATO hooked into the refill on the left hand side of the Max S built in chamber? That's what I was thinking

I have been looking at the Apex today but maybe I'm not ready for that yet. Looks a bit complicated as I've only been set up with the 650 since June.

When I left it last time it was the skimmer that went nuts into overskim and started pumping bubbles into tank

coralrama

Yes, you need a small pump, I use a lightweight sicce, the ato unit, and a bucket of RODI water. The jbj can be set up two ways, one so that both float switches go in the top off and it maintains the level between them, or one so that one float switch goes in the bucket and keeps the pump from running if it goes dry. The pump will run a few seconds after the switch goes off so make sure the switch is down the chute 6 inches or so. Also, be sure the pump is lower than the hose output or it will siphon the whole bucket into the chamber and onto the floor :)