Red Sea Coral colors 4 pack question

Orlando-Jeff

I purchased the 4 pack coral colors program. From what I've read, you dose pretty much based on your calcium consumption. I really don't dose much calcium and my water changes keep up my calcium levels most of the time. I do dose calcium maybe once every two weeks at the most. My tank is mostly softies but I do have a few SPS and LPS corals. Would this program help my corals and if so, how would I know how much to dose?

Oxylebius

If you are doing regular weekly water changes, then you don't need to spend $$ on this product IMHO. Weekly water changes are going to replenish all you need for growing your corals. If you find that you have come to a point where weekly water changes aren't keeping your Ca and Alk where they need to be, then you may at that point not only want to consider dosing Ca and Alk, but also using the colors product.

My recommendation if you are using the colors product is to also buy the test kits for the major elements that the 4 pack color program contains. That way you are dosing to replenish based on actually amounts that are being used up in your tank. This way you aren't over dosing the tank and you can be confident in the fact that the tank will have the proper amount in it.

This is what I currently do. I dose that kit in my 8 channel Kamoer along with Alk, Ca, and Mg. But I test the water to make sure I am dosing the correct amounts. You can buy test kits for these major elements: Iodine, Potassium, and Iron. This has allowed me to limit my water changes to once every 6 weeks or so. But, I repeat it is important to test the water if you are not doing water changes to make sure all your levels are where they are suppose to be: Alk, Ca, Mg, I, K, F, etc.

Orlando-Jeff

Thanks Oxylebius. I am using Coral pro salt and with the new analysis on your batch that red sea offers showing me what my batch has in it, I guess the need for adding trace eements right now is not needed

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Jeff, you have pretty much answered this question correctly yourself, if you add Calcium add Colors A,B,C & D if no Calcium no Colors required.