Red Sea Care Test Kit - Testing KH

Roy Page

I am very new to reef keeping and only today filled my new RSM C-250 for the first time.

See http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/91175-roys-red-sea-max-c-250-a.html

I have the RS Marine Care Test Kit and don't understand testing KH.

Question 1
To achieve the "Start" blue color do I have to use as many drops of the Tritrant as necessary to make the water turn the correct shade of "Start Blue"
or
Do I use just 1 drop ?
If I use only 1 drop the water becomes only very slightly blue.

Question 2
What is the normal "good" level of KH I should be aiming to achieve ?

I will appreciate some help here. Thanks !

Roy

saltfan

You use as many drops as you need to reach the start color. As for a normal KH, there are a lot of opinions out there and in my opinion that depends on what your keeping. I have 3 mixed reefs and keep them all at 9, and have for a few years so 9 works for ME...

Roy Page

You use as many drops as you need to reach the start color. As for a normal KH, there are a lot of opinions out there and in my opinion that depends on what your keeping. I have 3 mixed reefs and keep them all at 9, and have for a few years so 9 works for ME...

Thanks very much Salt,

I must say that RS instructions are not written without ambiguities creeping in to confuse the reader.

And I will start with a target of 9 and see how I manage to keep it close to that.

Roy