Red/Purple algae popped up overnight

NYCreefer

Just when I thought my tank was algae free, I wake up to see half my substrate covered in this stuff. Is it cyano or some kind of red hair algae maybe?

DSC_0322.jpg

NYCreefer

.. I was afraid that might be the answer. Looks like I'll be waging war on yet another nuisance algae, thx guys.

I had a bout with it. I believe it can come from two sources, overfeeding and/or in an area that has low flow. I bought ChemiClean, but never used it after reading about it on this site. Instead, I reduced feeding (especially flake food) and directed a Koralia in the area.

Good luck.

Stang Man

Add more time to your lighting and don't over feed this will cause this. Is your nitrates high? what about phosphates? Usally can be from bulbs over used as well.

smoothie

Raising your mag slowly with some Kent's techM works well to. Syphon what you can out using small tubing. As stated it helps to cut back feeding, photo period and increase the # of water changes.

soily

Had an outbreak of this and got rid by just increasing flow may have got lucky but it worked for me.

David Shaw

I had a tiny outbreak once.

I don't overfeed, so i knew that wasn't the problem. I just increased the flow over the affected area and did regular large weekly water changes. Never had a problem since with any form of algae at all (touch wood).