red hair algae???

Hi, I seem to have agrowing issue in my fuge. There is a lot of what i call red hair algoe growing in it in the rock on the sand bed and on the chaetomorpha and even on the walls of the fuge. None of the LFS in the are seem to know what it is or if has any ill effect on the main tank.. It does get up into the main tank every now and then and i have to scrape it off the rock and the tangs seem to eat it up like candy. Have heard that you should grown any and all plant life in the fuge so it will take up all extra nutrients for a helathier tank..?? My question is, Is this a problem or a benefit? here are a few pics

Attachments

• red hair in refug.jpg
    red hair in refug.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 41
  • closeup of red hair.jpg
    closeup of red hair.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 42
  • sump refug.jpg
    sump refug.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 40

burning2nd

COOL!

i dont know if you want to desterb it, by pulling or rubbin it, you could be makeing it worse....

if its only in your sump why not just let it run its course?

lcstorc

If the tangs love it, I would probably keep it as a treat for them. It should be absorbing nutrients just like your cheato. If there is a lot then I might change my mind but the pic you posted it doesn't look bad. I do wonder why the tangs don't eat it on the rocks but only when you scrape it off. Usually tangs love to graze on stuff growing on the rocks.

thanks for the replies, the tangs do eat off rock but it usually thrives in the deep cracks where they can't reach... i have to scrape with a toothbrush, not one that i use though, yuk!!!:bigblue:

pottino

:banghead: iv had this recent problem iv noticed daily syphoning removes this stuff , wouldnt used a toothbrush , u could end up spreading it around the tank if its suspended in the water and left to settle. also iv increased flow in hotspots where this red algea was growing , seems to be dying back now over a perid of a week ..