Red eyed crab

ninan

Hi again,
is this a evil guy or? My reef is 5 weeks old now and i just found it. I havn´t lost anything I have bought yet (clowns and turbo snails). I have a RSM 250 and I dont know where to put it if i can´t have it in the tank..... kill it?

P1010663.JPG

tnwillia

Red eyes and black tipped claws... congratulations on the catch, I've got 1 I've not been able to catch in 6 months. Flush him!

And Welcome to RS!

Dont flush it. How can you kill a living creature that did not ask to be in your tank to begin with? I hate it when people say that. Yes, some crabs dont belong in a reef tank, but there are other options. Do you have a sump? You can call the lfs & see if they want it? Or just post it & someone may want it. Just makes me really mad that some crabs are treated like an unwanted dog at the pound. And yes I have a few that are in my sump and fed just like everything else. It is my fault they are there & I'm taking care of them.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Obviously I can't due to location but if we lived closer I would take it :) got a 5 gallon where it would be right at home :)

ninan

Dont flush it. How can you kill a living creature that did not ask to be in your tank to begin with? I hate when people say that. Yes, some crabs dont belong in a reef tank, but there are other options. Do you have a sump? You can call the lfs & see if they want it? Or just post it & someone may want it. Just makes me really mad that some crabs are treated like an unwanted dog at the pound. And yes I have a few that are in my sump and fed just like everything else. It is my fault they are there & I'm taking care of them.

Sorry, it wasn´t my intention to upset anybody. I am a newbee and I have read on the forums that some crabs can be a really pain. My question was, can it stay in the tank or can I put it in the integrated sump in the back of the RSM250. There are the skimmer, the two pumps and a stocking with carbonate and phosphateremover. There is no light at all. I have also asked my local dealer who have worked with reefs for 20 years and he sugested that i should keep it until everything is calm in the tank. (I have killed the aiptasia they are also animals...)

sambrinar

yep put it in the sump, will be fine there. And I don't think Michelle was mad at you she was directing that statement to the "flush it" remark by Tom

Welcome to RS

tnwillia

ninan......After seeing how upsetting my suggestion is to some, I searched these threads for better options and wording. Here are a few "acceptible" posted suggestions I found in the reef hitchhiker threads, take your pick and have fun doing it then go have Lobster & Shrimp for dinner! Good luck with your new tank!

"not reef safe"
"Remove it"
Send him to the sump"
"Offer him to a large predatory fish for lunch"
"My LFS said thanks but no thanks"
Skewer him if you can"
"He got speared and tossed in an open fire"
"Grind it for fish food"
"If you know where he is a fondue fork may be helpful"
"My cats played with him for a couple of minutes before eating him"

ninan

ninan......After seeing how upsetting my suggestion is to some, I searched these threads for better options and wording. Here are a few "acceptible" posted suggestions I found in the reef hitchhiker threads, take your pick and have fun doing it then go have Lobster & Shrimp for dinner! Good luck with your new tank!

"not reef safe"
"Remove it"
Send him to the sump"
"Offer him to a large predatory fish for lunch"
"My LFS said thanks but no thanks"
Skewer him if you can"
"He got speared and tossed in an open fire"
"Grind it for fish food"
"If you know where he is a fondue fork may be helpful"
"My cats played with him for a couple of minutes before eating him"

Hello Tom,
:idea: I have put it in the sump now. When I go through all peoples opinion in this thread the conclusion is that I shall not have it in the tank. I will watch it and see how it progress. The question is if i shall put some live rocks in the sump for it?

crablover

I like Michelle's comment, yay animal lovers! We accidentally brought home a crab from our honeymoon in cuba, and we immediately invested in a salt water tank to keep him alive, when we got live rock we ended up with hitchhiker crabs as well, when we had predatory crabs then we just didn't get fish, and our tank was boring ha ha, well we like it, we've had one hairy reddish brown crab with white stripes on the legs and pointy claws for a while, and tonight we just noticed a black red eyed crab that has had to be there for a while, sounds like the same you are describing on this forum right now....a while ago we had a smaller beige crab, about nickle sized, and then one day he was in peices and we assumed it was his skin he shedded or was eaten by "Harriet" (the reddish brown one) but now that we've discovered this black one maybe he did it, Harriet is quite social, but all the others were always quite elusive, i've seen the tips of claws in another hole, and i'm never sure whether its Harriet or now this black one?... Anyone know what any of these crabs I've described are called?

I had one just like it in my tank it was purple though. I first thought is was cute a nice free addition , right? Wrong ! Killed my first anemone in it's first day in the tank and then it go my bubble tip! It was doing great clowns liked it in a perfect spot and then it ate it! Yes , I took all the rocks out and then put it in the sink and stabbed it to death! I was really mad! Also it was before I new nems in small tanks are not suggested.

GlassMunky

I had one of these guys and he was a total bully in my tank. When i would feed my starfish I would watch the crab com RUNNING from the other side of the tank and pummel the starfish until it stole the food. During my most recent move, I isolated him in one of my rocks, and tried to remove him with tweezers to stick him in my sump, but to no avail. He held on sooo tight i accidentally ripped him in half.........