Red Bugs

Jerome

So I found some red bugs on my SPS last night GRR so I went and read the thread by Dustin Dorton from ORA about using Interceptor, but before using that I was considering some other options. Taking out all my crabs and shrimps would be a lot of work. I also read that it was basicaly inevitable since I wasn't quarunting with Interceptor and maybe once all my crusties are out they may stay out in case of re infection in the future. I read that dipping isn't 100% effective either...

The one thing I did read which I couldn't find much information on was the use of pipefish as a biological control... and my first instinct is to try biological control before chemical. I haven't been able to find any information stating wether pipe fish are actually effective or not??

So, here is my question should I just do the interceptor and solve my problem chemically and the possible unknown factors that go along with that or is there so real evidence that pipe fish will keep red bug populations under control??

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
IMO I would go the Interceptor route. Although I don't like any medication added to a reef tank but with the pipefish there's no guarantee that they will work and they usually only do well in a species only tank. Just my 2 cent$

addict

I agree with Robert...

So far, the only evidence of Dragonface Pipefish eating Red Bugs is in the video at Live Aquaria... I have yet to see any other reports that the pipefish worked for anyone else.

Interceptor is pretty much the only way to get the job done. I've had to treat twice in my tank, and you're right that it's no picnic with the amount of work you have to do, but when you start seeing your acropora come back to life after the bugs are gone, it's worth every bit of effort.

Make sure to get out all of your shrimps and hermits, and any crabs. The only shrimp I left in my tank (the first time around), was my Randall's pistol shrimp, and they fared fine and were none the worse for wear. The second time around I couldn't catch my peppermint shrimp, and though they survived the ordeal, they all died within two weeks of finishing treatment (which lead to an aiptasia explosion, but that's a whole nother story).

I found it easiest just to set up a holding tank about a week before you decide to do the treatment, then take your time trapping everything.

Good luck... red bugs are a nightmare... I really hope I never have to go through that again. :columbo:

Jerome

Well, I finally took the time to read in Jul Sprungs vol 3 today and he said there are reports of pipefish working as a biological control so for $16 I think Ill give it a shot since the lfs will give 50% credit when it fails (I have the interceptor tablets already) so I am pretty pestimistic about biological control working but I figure it worth a try. Ill post after the pipefish has been in the grow out tank for a few days with the powerheads turned off... see if I can get any results. Thanks for the imput I am pretty sure nuking the will end up being the way to go, luckily they kill slowly so I figure I have few days to try the pipefish.

addict

Good luck. :thumbup:

If the pipefish are successful for you, please share your experience. I would love to be able to tell people that pipefish actually work, because most people (myself included) are loathe to add anything non-biological to their reef... I agonized over the decision for a couple months before I finally dove into the Interceptor treatments, but in the end it was worth it. :)

Jerome

Pipefish was a waste of time I am in the process of catching all my hermit crabs and cleaner shrimp. It didn't seem the slightest bit interested in eating the red bugs...