Red Bug Coral Dip

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I currently use coral RX to dip all my corals before putting them in my DT. It doesn't say it works for red bugs so the question is does anyone know of a dip that will ensure any corals that my be purchased can be dipped that kills red bugs?

I don't have red bugs and from what I've heard I never want them:)

Mike Johnson

I have personally seen Coral RX kill red bugs. I use Coral RX. Keep it in the refrigerator it will last ten times longer.

A lot of people are using Bayer Advanced Complete insect killer to dip their corals - not me, yet.

If you get red bugs in your DT you'll have to treat it with Interceptor. I pray that never happens to me because I have a live rock tank with a hundred different species of worms. Thank God, I've never introduced a pest into my tanks. Just pure luck, I guess. (I'm knocking wood ten times right now.) Had to search a little for real wood.

If I did dip a coral and saw pests. I would put it in a quarantine and dip it again a week later. Or whenever, watching it closely. There is no known dip that will kill eggs at this time. There's one that claims it does, but I haven't read enough testimonies to believe it yet.

So, to sum it up. I highly recommend quarantine for everything. I introduced aiptasia into a tank, that I treated like an operating room, from a turbo snail!

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Moving forward with that mike, does coral rx cause any issues with sensitive corals like acro. As I would think these are the corals your dipping to rid of red bugs but not sure.

Alan

Mike Johnson

It seems to me that the acros actually like it. One thing I do know is it perks up Gorgonians. And the Gorgonians I've dipped had a lot of bugs/whatever on them. Some of the pests are stunned it seems by Coral RX and by swishing around lose their grip. Don't know for sure if it actually kills them, but you rinse them off at least.