Reconfiguring my Live Rock...

Snid

Ok, so my tank is 3 months old now, doing well, and I have 3 fish (2 Clowns/1 Chalk Bass) and a modest CUC of various species, including a Sea Urchin. I have a few Zoas not yet attached anywhere really (a little early, I know, but they were given to me for free). I have been thinking about rearranging all my Live Rock. It's not bad as it is, but I think it could be better. Would this be okay to do at this point, or should I leave well enough alone? I realize that I'll probably stir up some silicates and have a slight Diatom outbreak, but other than that would I be doing harm?

Choff

I did it several times at varying degrees of destruction. I did a full change early on and again recently and had zero ill effects. The only thing I did was a few days prior I took a powerhead to my rocks and lightly vacuumed my sand and then did a 10 pct WC. Waited a few days and then redid the scape and followed it again with a 10 pct WC.

Results may vary :)

...stupid auto correct

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I think we've all been down this road and I agree with Mike's plan. I must have rearranged mine 10 times in the first year without any issues.

Snid

Thanks guys! Well... I think that in about 2-3 weeks I'll find some time to rearrange things a bit. Maybe I'll look into my next fish addition soon too so that he can be moved from the QT to the DT on the day I rearrange everything. Will see... Money is tight.

Snid

Will Do. That way when I show the after and everyone says they like the before pics better I can pout and figure out how to put everything back... Ha Ha hah.. heh.. he... uh...oooohh.... Doh!

Andy

good luck with the stress you are going to have getting ur scape right. I re-did mine last week and all im going to say was that me and the misses where not best of friends for a couple of days after......she failed miserably as a helper!

Snid

Before...

_MG_0657.JPG

After... :)

_MG_0680.JPG

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I like BOTH the before & the after! :snshne:
I think you are a Captain with nerves of steel to re-do your rock scape. ;)
Once was more than I wanted to do mine :yup:

Pat24601

I agree with Diana. I like the before and the after, but I wouldn't try it at home. There are things about mine I'm not happy about now that I understand placement better, but once was enough for me.

Creekview

I like the after as well. It looks like it's mostly what I call base rock. If it were my tank, I'd add some dry rock from someone like marcorocks. It's very light, full of holes, and very porous. You'll get a much higher beneficial bacteria population with that kind of rock. It also gives 'pods and other critters lots of hiding places. Here's a chunk that has been in my tank about a year, fully encrusted with coralline. Comes in bone white, as it is ancient coral reefs they mine in Florida.

B1041726-4DAF-40CC-9FF7-F37DCFCD6085_zpsrr3dybdc.jpg