Recommended Cleanup Crew?

Nucem

Finally after 1 1/2 years I have my 100 gallon tank up and running. It has been running for 3 weeks now. I plan on waiting for another couple weeks then i want to add cleanup crew. I'm kinda past the brown algae and getting started on the hair algae stage :) . My question for you all is what and how many critters to add for cleanup?

Royalscott

Not sure on how many for that size, but I would do a variety of snails, crabs, a cleaner shrimp or two and I love our sand star.

Check out reefcleaners.org too.

Triggerjay

I have 100 astrea snails, and 100 sm. blue leg hermits, sand sifting star (he is two years old now!), and a few nassarus snails in my 125g.. Its plenty. BUT, I also consider my powder brown tang, and foxface part of the CUC. Tank stays remarkably clean now.

Jason

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Congrats on setting up your tank! :thumbup:

I only add cleaners as needed.
Most snails are voracious algae eaters and can starve quickly if there isn't enough to eat.

Try to cater to only what you need and don't get too many as they will just slowly starve, die and pollute the water.

A few general discriptions of my favorite cleaners:
Stomatella snails - clean the rocks & glass. Great film algae eaters that will reproduce well without predators (cleaner shrimp, hermits, etc.).
Nassarius snail - stay in the sand bed and eat left over foods. They help to stir the sand bed
Mexican Turbo snails - stay on rocks and glass. They eat huge amounts of algae including hair algae. Don't confuse this snail with the similar astrea snail.
Hermit crabs - most stay on sand & rocks. They are opportunistic eaters and will eat algae and left over food. Some will harm corals and snails. I prefer the scarlet hermits.
Cerith snails - stay on the sand bed. They eat film algae and help stir the sandbed.
Fighting conchs - stay on/in the sand bed. They eat film algae and help stir the sandbed.

corrado007

I've got some nassarius, cerith, red leg hermit crabs, fighting conch, and a few misc. snails. This seems to work well for me.
Congrats on getting the tank up and running.

Nucem

Ty for the info. My LFS is recommending like 48 snails and about the same for hermit crabs for my tank and 2 or 3 shrimp. Whatcha think? I have what I'd say is a moderate amount of brown algae and the begining of hair algae. Soon as I figure out what program to shrink my photos i'll post a few.​

WatchinFish

use paint to shrink your images. every computer has it and it works well for me. just open your picture with paint then go to "image" on the top left side then click on "stretch/skew" then just add a percentage of the size you want your photo to be. then just resave it and then post it up for us to see:whstlr:

Nucem

Reef_aquarium_002_modified.JPG

Here's a pic if that will help.