Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hey Woodstock, I just found this page and I think it is awesome!

I have a mated pair of Picassos so naturally I have a couple of question for when they do actually start breeding (due to an Ich crisis they are currently in a QT but will be back to their anemone in about 3 weeks).

How long after night do the eggs start hatching (I have read about an hour)? How long does it typically take from the time the first egg hatches and the last? Have you ever tried siphoning out the fry immediately after hatching instead of moving the pot? I read that is another method that can work but I wanted to get your opinion. Thanks a lot!

Peace,
Poppinthekap

Mine began breeding about 1 year after I had them.

Yes, after 1 hour or so most of the eggs have hatched. Some might not hatch until the next evening.

I always remove the eggs prior to hatching. I have never tried to collect newly born fry.

Good luck! :)

I got home yesterday and actually saw my two clowns together (they dont like each other much...my picasso prefers the lawnmower blenny hah)...they were particularly infatuated with this piece of branch rock...any idea why? the picasso hangs there every so often and it looks like hes feeding off of it, but i never see any pods around...hmm!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I got home yesterday and actually saw my two clowns together (they dont like each other much...my picasso prefers the lawnmower blenny hah)...they were particularly infatuated with this piece of branch rock...any idea why? the picasso hangs there every so often and it looks like hes feeding off of it, but i never see any pods around...hmm!

Maybe they are picking out a honeymoon suite? :D

Hey Doni, I had a quick questions about breeding Picasso clownfish. I am not looking to breed them any time soon but everyone here says it is really hard b/c they have to be on a timer and if you even turn on a house light and they see it it could mess them up and they won't lay eggs. Is this true or is this just a myth? Thanks.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hey Doni, I had a quick questions about breeding Picasso clownfish. I am not looking to breed them any time soon but everyone here says it is really hard b/c they have to be on a timer and if you even turn on a house light and they see it it could mess them up and they won't lay eggs. Is this true or is this just a myth? Thanks.

Not true. We use the lights near the reef many times during the 'night' hours.
However, I do recommend using timers or a controller to regulate the lights so the day/night will be consistant.

Not true. We use the lights near the reef many times during the 'night' hours.
However, I do recommend using timers or a controller to regulate the lights so the day/night will be consistant.

Thanks bunches. I figured that wasn't true. lol. Any ways. How do you take such clear pics my pics look blurry.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
A tripod is your friend when taking close up photos :)
Another option is to use vibration-reducing lens'.

I recieved my two picassos this morning and despite fex ex throwing the box on the ground and leaving they are fine. She knocked on the door and my boxer barked. she didn't even see my boxer. i was at the top of the steps and she half way bent down and dropped the box turned around and left. What is wrong with people??? Any ways thanks to Doni's great packaging skills my two picassos are doing just fine. Thanks again.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
************************************************** *****************************************
Happy Anniversary to Doni's Reef!

It has been one year since my Picasso pair began spawning and to celebrate this occasion we will begin drawing a monthly prize winner at Doni's Reef!

Monthly Drawing!

When a customer creates an account at Donis Reef online store , they are given a number. We will randomly pick a number and the corresponding customer will receive a $100 coupon! There are currently 236 customers so your chances are very good at winning.

The winner will be notified via email and posted Monthly Drawing! . The coupon will expire after 6 months and is transferrable.

The first drawing will be on July 1st and will occur monthly thereafter!

Good luck to everyone!

************************************************** ******************************************

underwaterexoti

I am setting up all my breeding tanks right now, we will be in touch shortly!!! ;) I am setting up 8 - 20 gallon long tanks for breeding and 10 - 10 gallon for growout. If you have any input please let me know!! Thanks

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Unless the clowns are of a large species (tomatoe, GSM, etc.), I would use the 10 gal for the breeding tanks and the 20 gallon for the growouts. You will quickly find that you have hundreds of juveniles! These little guys grow quickly and will need lots of space.

kobelka

Hi there Doni,
I wonder if you would answer a few questions that I have on raising the fry.
I have just read the first 60 pages again and see new things each time.
1. Are you still using rotifer diet? How long does 1 liter last you?
2. How many days do you feed rotifers, and what day do they get weaned completely to non live foods.
3. what day do you add a sponge filter to the tank?
4. Do you use a sponge filter in your rotifer culture?
What light duration do you use at the start and how long till they are on day/night schedule?
Only answer if you have the time!
Thanks
Dave
P.S. All 3 of my picasso babies are 100% and are growing fast!

kobelka

Hi again,
Found the answers to most questions. Just still woondering about the rotifer diet, and the light schedule for the first week?
Dave